Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #1  

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I’ve got a 1960s medium duty truck with a 14’ flatbed dump bed. I’ve only got $350 in the truck. It’ll never run again and I just bought it for the bed, but I really don’t need it anymore. I was thinking about cutting the truck off about the middle of where the cab used to be and making a dump trailer out of it. One of the biggest holdups is brakes. I haven’t figured out how to have working brakes without spending a fortune.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #2  
Get a surge brake cylinder and coupler hitch from a boat trailer. Two for one - a coupler and brake system.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck.
Get a surge brake cylinder and coupler hitch from a boat trailer. Two for one - a coupler and brake system.

It’s going to be a 20,000 pound trailer. That would be the ideal solution but I’ve never seen a surge brake coupler of that magnitude.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #4  
It痴 going to be a 20,000 pound trailer. That would be the ideal solution but I致e never seen a surge brake coupler of that magnitude.

Im pretty Sure I saw a backhoe trailer about that heavy with surge brakes, but it was a long time ago. When you say spend a fortune, you mean for an E over H unit?

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #5  
A lot of rental equipment have surge brakes due to match up problems on other systems. They are usually air brakes or surge brakes. The stuff is out there. Try a place that salvages big trucks and equipment.

Ron

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #6  
Offroad only trailer? Or something that would need to be street legal?

If not street legal a manual valve to apply air or hydraulic oil at appropriate pressure could work.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck.
No it’s going to be on road.

/ Making hydraulic truck brakes work without the truck. #9  
Keep us in the loop with the trailer project. Sounds interesting. :thumbsup: