Massey 255 Smoke from breather tube

/ Massey 255 Smoke from breather tube #1  

Jacob645

Tractor
MF 230 and Massey 175
I just bought a Massey 255. It runs great and very strong, but there is white smoke coming from the breather tube after it runs for about 30 seconds. There is no smoke coming from the exhaust pipe at all. There is also what looks like an oil leak from the valve cover gasket. The top of the right side of the head has lots of residual oil on it. I just changed the oil which was very black and put on a new filter. From what I was told, the tractor hadn’t been run in months. Any suggestions on process of elimination? I haven’t taken the loader off yet to get a better look under the hood, but I’ll try that daunting task today.

/ Massey 255 Smoke from breather tube #2  
Don't be intimidated by the loader. Most loaders have quick release fittings to allow easy removal and fitting. (tip: Don't fully retract the rams, leave about 1 - 2 inches out, this will make it easier to couple the lines when refitting the loader).
Moderate oil leaks from the valve cover gasket are common on older tractors.
I can't help you with the white smoke from the breather tube .
How many hours on the clock? One would expect some fuming with 7 -8000 hours on the clock.
Can you post some photos of the leaks and fuming please?
These are questions that will get asked, so the more info you can give now the quicker a solution will be found.
good luck.

/ Massey 255 Smoke from breather tube #3  
What model is the loader and are the hydraulics on it front pump or connected to remotes? Those two are the main factors in how hard to remove it is.

The valve cover gasket is a very common leak. A new gasket is about $25 or so and and completely stopped the leaks for us.

A couple notes on the gasket replacement.
The loader does not have to come off but it is much easier to remove sheet metal and fuel tank with loader off.
There are four rubber bushings under the fuel tank support that can collapse over time and then the fuel tank support will be very low over the valve cover.
The ends of the new valve cover gasket want to spring in and would not be in the right place to seal. We found the best way to deal with that was to tie a loop of sewing thread around the gasket in the middle of the ends and then pull the gasket out the right amount while tightening the bolts. Then cut the thread and pull it out. I think the torque for the valve cover bolts is 6 ft lbs.

The smoke from the breather I wonder if that is extra blow by from sitting and/or not getting worked hard recently.

Also before starting any repair now I would have parts in hand as some Massey and Perkins parts have been very slow to come recently.