3-Point Hitch Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #1  

klancf51

Silver Member
Tractor
CASE IH, Massey Ferguson, Ford
My Position Control is not working. On other sites I have seen references to this issue: speciifcally the position control linkage becoming displaced when the position control lever is moved outside of its normal range of motion. Back in 2004 on a forum in Yesterday's Tractors, Big Dean Austin stated that "the Position control has a piece of linkage that when you move the position lever to (sic) far it will jump out of place it will happen almost every time you do that. To get it back where it belongs you will have to remove the liftcover. I have a picture showing this & how to get it back in place." Does anyone know anything about this or have the fix that Big Dean was referring to?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #2  
My Position Control is not working. On other sites I have seen references to this issue: speciifcally the position control linkage becoming displaced when the position control lever is moved outside of its normal range of motion. Back in 2004 on a forum in Yesterday's Tractors, Big Dean Austin stated that "the Position control has a piece of linkage that when you move the position lever to (sic) far it will jump out of place it will happen almost every time you do that. To get it back where it belongs you will have to remove the liftcover. I have a picture showing this & how to get it back in place." Does anyone know anything about this or have the fix that Big Dean was referring to?

Thanks!

I too have the same problem and have not heard of this. Its possible I have done the same thing. Its likely you would have to remove the top cover. I have both my side covers off and notice some parts move when I move the draft control but nothing when I move the position control. Not sure I am supposed to see anything move.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working
I too have the same problem and have not heard of this. Its possible I have done the same thing. Its likely you would have to remove the top cover. I have both my side covers off and notice some parts move when I move the draft control but nothing when I move the position control. Not sure I am supposed to see anything move.

I have the top cover ready to hoist, but I would sure like to have some understanding of the problem and the fix before I get into it. From what I have been able to gather, Big Dean did not post the fix, but instead directly emailed it out to some people on Yesterday's Tractors forum (Matthew Rice from Alabama I believe). It appears that this problem is not uncommon and the fix really should be documented with pictures and posted. If I figure it out I will post it. Thanks for the reply.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #5  
I've had that very problem you describe. I had our local tractor mechanic fix it. I believe it took longer to pull the cover than to get the linkage bak in alignment.

I've had that very problem you describe. I had our local tractor mechanic fix it. I believe it took longer to pull the cover than to get the linkage bak in alignment.
Right. The fix is probably simple compared to pulling the top cover. We need to hear from someone who knows the fix.
Thanks.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #7  
Right. The fix is probably simple compared to pulling the top cover. We need to hear from someone who knows the fix.
Thanks.

Check out lugnuts thread 73 135 Perkins diesel thread. He had problems with his position control and removed his auxiliary valve and replaced it with the standard cover plate and still had problems. It appears that he pulled the top cover and found an adjustment bolt for the position control unscrewed and is currently trying to contact Hutch for advice.

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #8  
G'day klancf51 .
To better understand your problem can you give me in your words what the tractor is not /is doing that you feel it should /should not do.
Caution. Do not remove the lift cover until you are comfortable that you know what you are doing or it may cost you a control valve or at the least a lot of time fixing the mistake you made, usually through the lack of knowledge, or the NEED to RIP things to bits, anyway tell me all you know and I will talk you through your Dilemma.
happy days.
Hutch.

G'day klancf51 .
To better understand your problem can you give me in your words what the tractor is not /is doing that you feel it should /should not do.
Caution. Do not remove the lift cover until you are comfortable that you know what you are doing or it may cost you a control valve or at the least a lot of time fixing the mistake you made, usually through the lack of knowledge, or the NEED to RIP things to bits, anyway tell me all you know and I will talk you through your Dilemma.
happy days.
Hutch.
Well I repaired the position control problem, but I am not precisely sure about the exact cause. It could be one or more of three things (refer to photos below):
1) the eccentric (rear roller) had become displaced from the position control cam.
2) the front roller (position control) was frozen in place (i.e. sliding instead of rolling along the cam face).
3) the position control return spring was elongated (the last coil was stretched away from the other coils).
My thought is that the eccentric (rear roller) had become displaced from the position control cam. In the process of trying to understand the mechanism, I was moving the position control lever and "feeling" the cam with a screwdriver blade. I think I caused the rear roller to correctly re-engage with the position control cam tip. I replaced the spring, freed the front roller, adjusted the hydraulic linkage and re-assembled. The position control is now operating. At this point it seems to me that "Big" Dean Austin's fix (referenced in my original post) was to remove the top cover and re-position the rear roller on the position control cam. However, a broken return spring would also be a problem. I hope this may help someone in the future.
MF_135_Position_Control_1.jpg
IMAG0155.jpg

/ Massey Ferguson 135 Position Control Not Working #10  
Well I repaired the position control problem, but I am not precisely sure about the exact cause. It could be one or more of three things (refer to photos below):
1) the eccentric (rear roller) had become displaced from the position control cam.
2) the front roller (position control) was frozen in place (i.e. sliding instead of rolling along the cam face).
3) the position control return spring was elongated (the last coil was stretched away from the other coils).
My thought is that the eccentric (rear roller) had become displaced from the position control cam. In the process of trying to understand the mechanism, I was moving the position control lever and "feeling" the cam with a screwdriver blade. I think I caused the rear roller to correctly re-engage with the position control cam tip. I replaced the spring, freed the front roller, adjusted the hydraulic linkage and re-assembled. The position control is now operating. At this point it seems to me that "Big" Dean Austin's fix (referenced in my original post) was to remove the top cover and re-position the rear roller on the position control cam. However, a broken return spring would also be a problem. I hope this may help someone in the future.
View attachment 322127
View attachment 322126
Thank you very helpful comment.