Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ???

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #1  

Sig9mm

Tractor
None
Hello, I've been creeping the forums for a while but still have some questions as a first time tractor buyer. I still can't figure out if I should go with a SCUT or a small CUT (1 or 2 series). I have an acre and a half lot, with a 700 foot gravel driveway. I'll be using the tractor to mow, grade the driveway, plow, along with misc tasks such as spreading gravel and other projects like moving logs and whatever else I can find. Mostly it'll be used for mowing. My big concern is the capacity of the FEL (picking up a bucket of gravel or a log), and whether or not a SCUT can pull a 48" - ish box grader without getting stuck when it digs in. I'd hate to spend the money and not be able to do the things I need it to but I also don't want to overbuy. Probably 80% of the work is mowing. So my question is, will a SCUT like the LS MT125 or the Massey GC1705 be too small for my heavier jobs? I looked at JD and Kubota, and even though I like the JD the best I just can't see spending the price premium. I was quoted $15.7k for a new GC1705, MMM, FEL (Good price?). 2nd question, I was going to sell my 52" cut Husqvarna garden tractor to pay for the mower deck on the tractor, the sale will probably barely pay for the mower deck and the Husqvarna only has 50 hours on it. The mower works great, its just really bumpy in the back yard, will the tractor ride better? Or should I just skip a MMM and keep the Husqvarna? Thank you guys very much

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #2  
Don't know what the Husqy weighs to compare, but a SCUT with FEL and MMM will approach 2,000 pounds with the operator on board. It's not a smooth ride over bumpy ground. My tires are R4s filled with Rimguard so that may make them ride more rough.

Another user here just sold his MT125 and upgraded to an LS 30 series to be able to handle heavier tasks better.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ???
The Husqy weighs about 600 pounds. I figured maybe the tractor would ride better since it's heavier, but I could be wrong.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #4  
For what you describe, either SCUT will perform. Maybe going up a size or two would make some of the heavier tasks (grading, digging, etc..) a little easier, but mowing would require the husky if you went up to a compact. I had the MT125 and sold it and purchased an XG3025. I love the compact, but I really, really, miss the nimbleness of the 125. I could get into much tighter spaces and turn much tighter.

As for mowing.... The 125 was actually smoother out in the fields...

Good luck in your search... I'm really happy with the LS brand, so much so that I purchased another.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #5  
You could always go in-between.
Here is a list of machines I compiled while I was doing my search
Kubota B2601
Kubota B2650/B3350
Deere 2025R
Deere 2720 (used)
Massey Ferguson 1526
Branson 2510h
LS XJ2025
Mahindra Max 26XL
TYM T234
Kioti CK2510
Yanmar SA324
Yanmar SX3100 (used)

I ended up buying the Max 26, but my dream machine is the B3350.

Good luck.

This is a tough call, on one hand being able to do everything with one machine would be great, but I dont want it to unable to grade the driveway.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #7  
This is a tough call, on one hand being able to do everything with one machine would be great, but I dont want it to unable to grade the driveway.

Use time and try to have as much fun as you can with this process.
You could keep your current mower and fix the irregularities of your yard with the tractor latter.

One of the reason I didn't get a SCUT was because I wanted more lift capacity and being able to pull at least a 54" box blade or Land plane.
I would narrow my search to the following:
Branson 2510h
Kubota B2650
Mahindra Max 26XLT
Massey Ferguson 1526
LS XJ2025

Any of those would be very capable machines, and nimble enough to work around your house without destroying your yard.
You need to try those and see for yourself.
It would be good if you could have a list of thing to look for

I can tell you, on paper, the most capable of those is the Max 26XLT, followed by the XJ2025 and the rest.
But to me, the Kubota is the nicest machine of all. Better control valves, decent capabilities, better components integration, fit and finish.
The only thing is the price, but 0% financing could help.

Attached my old spreadsheet, hope it helps.
Tractor research.jpg

Wow, thanks I'll read that and consider the bigger tractor.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #9  
The XJ2025 requires removal of the BH subframe in order to mount and use the MMM. Some of the others may also, can't be sure. What steered me to the 125 was that I could use the MMM with the BH on if I wanted to, or at least remove only the BH and not have to take a subframe off also. The BH goes on or off in about 10 minutes or less without the need to use any tools.

/ Massey Ferguson vs LS vs ??? #10  
The XJ2025 requires removal of the BH subframe in order to mount and use the MMM. Some of the others may also, can't be sure. What steered me to the 125 was that I could use the MMM with the BH on if I wanted to, or at least remove only the BH and not have to take a subframe off also. The BH goes on or off in about 10 minutes or less without the need to use any tools.

FYI...
You don't have to remove the BH in order to use the MMM on the Max or the B series Kubota, I don't know about the Branson 2510h or the Massey 1526.

And same as you I can remove my BH in 7 minutes or less.

What I can tell you is, from my personal test, the Max and the Kubota are plenty more tractor than a SCUT.
I'm able to lift a pallet with 20 bags of 56.6lb mulch each @ full height and 25+ bags 1-2 feets of the ground.
Of course I don't do that very often and I always drive slow and with the load as close as possible to the ground.
I won a round of beers on a friendly bet with my neighbor, he thought the little tractor couldn't lift a big log he had in his back yard.