Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #1  

TxMN

Bronze Member
Tractor
2020 Kubota MX5400 HST, ROPS, 2020 Kubota RTV 900, 2020 Kubota RTV 500(wifeç—´ ride),
Shopping for new tractor and implements, have decided on Kubota MX 5400, and will use Land Pride equipment. Want to stick to 6 equipment, only question I have at this time is on disc harrow DH 2572, weighing 947 lbs using 22 discs.
How will the tractor and this perform in a sandy loam type soil? Will additional weight to front of tractor be necessary, it will have LA 1065 loader and round back HD buck.
Thanks

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #2  
Your pick should be a good match for your tractor. The 22" disks will weigh 100# more than your figure. If you bury your disks to the axle, there will be considerable load on your tractor, but just downshift and plug along. Good soil conditions and loose soil are required to get in that deep. You mention loamy soil. If there is any clay in your soil and you might run your disk in wet conditions, I'll recommend scrapers (another 200#?). We've had clay soil build up between the disks. It's a bear getting it out and will ruin your day. If you run your disk with your loader, you should be fine on weight. A 1000# hanging off the back is a lot of weight and you may want to put a load in your bucket if the front end gets light. If you ever go up a steep hill do it with the disk down so you don't flip it.

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #3  
As you are considering a pull-type Disc, I presume you will use it in field work where maneuvering is less of a priority than in food plots.

Note that transport tires are NOT available on DH2572 nor DH2596 so your sole process to reduce draft resistance in the field is to decrease gang angles.

DH 2572/947 pounds has 20" diameter pans. In a pull-type disc harrow this will probably be a perfect choice with R4/industrial tires on the MX tractor, as none of the implement weight will be supported by the tractor, so pans will penetrate somewhat deeper than with a TPH mounted Disc Harrow of the same 947 pound weight.

If you order liquid filled R1/ag tires you could pull the DH2572/1,143 pounds with 22" diameter pans and still maintain traction in field smoothing.

Pulling either Disc, 1,200 pound FEL weight will assist traction. I typically drop my SSQA bucket to improve forward visibility but leave the Loader on.

If there is clay in your soil and you might run your disk in wet conditions, I'll recommend scrapers (another 200#?). We've had clay soil build up between the disks. It's a bear getting it out and will ruin your day.
Be aware Land Pride Discs all have 7-1/2" pan spacing, which are excellent for following a plow but less good at opening soil in game food plots relative to Discs with 9" pan spacing. Pans spaced 7-1/2" are a little more likely to accumulate clay.

DISC HARROW ADJUSTMENT: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...ing-three-point-hitch-mounted.html?highlight=

Last edited:
   / Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400
It is a pull type, have not decided on disc size yet, salesman was afraid the 22 in discs might be too much, do not look to do more than disc in 10 acres parcels, total of 3 separate areas, no clay, rocks, or hills. Land in in middle of mostly horse farms, stables, and breeding operations. Major horse people love the area for the soil. Plans are to work with wildlife consultants on plantings and attracting wildlife, mostly deer, turkeys, and doves.

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #5  
Plans are to work with wildlife consultants on plantings and attracting wildlife, mostly deer, turkeys, and doves.

As you are considering a pull-type Disc, I presume you will use it in field work where maneuvering is less of a priority than in food plots.

Be aware Land Pride Discs all have 7-1/2" pan spacing, which are excellent for following a plow but less good at opening soil in game food plots relative to Discs with 9" pan spacing.

A pulled Disc Harrow follows ground contours much better than a TPH mounted Disc Harrow, which rises and falls as tractor front wheels encounter lumps and bumps.

T-B-N ARCHIVE: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/87137-disc-harrow-3pt-type-vs.html

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/312365-disc-harrow-pull-behind-3-a.html

Last edited:
   / Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #6  
I used a King pull type disk with 20 inch blades with a M6800. It was a load when the soil was soft, such as second disking. Often wished it was 22 inch blades to get the depth I wanted and keep the axles out the dirt. Mine was 9 inch spacing and had if memory is correct 24 blades for near 10 foot width on rear gangs. Maybe disked about 7 inches deep. A sandy loam mostly here. Level ground. 2 wheel drive with R1 ties.

I misunderstood on this disc harrow, it is NOT a pull type,it is 3 point hook up, 72 in, and I changed quote from 22in discs to 20 in discs

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #8  
An MX with 4-WD can pull a 72" TPH-mounted Disc Harrow with 20" or 22" diameter pans spaced 7-1/2" apart easily with R1 or R4 tires.

This is because:
1) narrow spaced pans have more pans in earth contact and therefore much more float
2) tractor supports considerable portion of weight of all TPH-mounted implements.

No big deal. The penetration difference between 20" and 22" diameter pans is only 1" or so.

How will the tractor and this perform in a sandy loam type soil?

I speculate 20"/7-1/2"/72" Disc Harrow will mix moist, sandy soil to 5" depth.
I speculate 20"/9"/72" Disc Harrow will mix moist, sandy soil to 7" depth.

What model number LP Disc Harrow is under consideration now?

Last edited:
Well, I can’t answer your question Jeff, I do appreciate you sharing your knowledge and input with me. Seems my Kubota sales rep is trying to move the values of some of the quoted implements around, and will not respond to some questions I emailed him where info he put in the quote are against Kubota stated info from the Kubota web site. When I challenged this situation in an e-mail, now he wants me to “call him”. Not, answer my questions with an email response, don’t do that “call me” crap. I think he feels like I will not question his knowledge or his prices, I have only owned Kubota, but I am not against looking at local New Holland, John Deere, and Massey Ferguson offerings, especially since I am a cash buyer. I know it’s a little of a rant, just wanting to vent, nothing intended to anyone on the forum, especially you. Just a frustration with the millennial generation not knowing how to addressing things honestly and openly.

/ Matching disc harrow to Kubota MX5400 #10  
Don't get too bent outta shape about the call me comment. Sometimes that's how it works and no disrespect intended. I call some folks for every little thing because they don't do texts. Some folks get texts only. It's just how it is.