Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #91  
What bothers me most is that the local lumberyard pushed the price of 3/4 and 1/2-inch MDO, up to three times what it was, and since I’m basically the only guy in town who buys it, I know that the roughly, half a bunk of each they have left, is what they have left from, the full bunks they got in 8-years ago.

And, I doubt they will lower the price ever.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #92  
There is an awful lot of really ignorant so-called journalism being published these days by idiots who just happen to have something occur to them and instantly they imagine themselves to be experts. So they start misinforming others.

Gasoline has an autoignition point of 474.8 Degrees F.
If you think your container will get that hot inside you shouldn't put anything in there other than the chicken you want to roast for dinner.

The other day I read an article by one of these instant experts about farming and why it is a global environmental catastrophe that we use heavy machinery because it's compacting the earth from us running machinery over the surface.

BUT even the real experts can lose their minds
Three SCIENTISTS ( from Yale & Harvard) published a GRAND THESIS on women and their failure to marry in time. They insisted that women who waited too long had only a 5% chance of solving that condition and those who waited till 40 were likely to be killed by Terrorists.
Yes, terrorists.
Don't ask I can't guess but that's what they said
Jeanne Moorman showed them how stupid they were with statistical data showing that of 54% of single women ages 30 to 34 will marry; and of ages 35 to 39, 37% will, & of ages 40 to 44, 24% will tie the knot.
And she was just a US Census Bureau employee
Huh?

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation
Well, it makes just as much sense to discuss buying art when the topic is house construction but I just play on a plain chess board. That 3 dimension stuff is just beyond me so I just stay out it when it comes along. ;)

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #94  
Right now, I wouldn't buy any commodity as an investment.
Probably the only safe bet is high-end fine arts.
They are recession and inflation-proof, they are proof against supply chain issues. Art outperforms the market.
There is a substantial barrier to investing though.
First, you need the money
Then you need to know the hot artists.
The latter is particularly difficult because the people who make artists hot tend to move in very rarified circles. You have to make a study of it.

I have been bombarded with advertisements saying this same stuff lately...

Are you a bot?

Do we need to verify you are a real human?

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #95  
that was in response to this:
"Have read a couple of articles that advises against storing any type / amount of fuel in a storage container due to the high heat during summer due to risk of explosion. (even the small amount stored in fuel tank only)
Have you had any issues with this at all?"

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #96  
have been bombarded with advertisements saying this same stuff lately...
Don't buy anything they are selling. Ever~!! You need to make a serious study of yourself if you hope to invest in art.
You've never seen an advert for the Mona Lisa or a Picasso or a Katherine Levin etc...

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #97  
that was in response to this:
"Have read a couple of articles that advises against storing any type / amount of fuel in a storage container due to the high heat during summer due to risk of explosion. (even the small amount stored in fuel tank only)
Have you had any issues with this at all?"
I don’t have a metal storage container, but have a metal barn that gets hot in the summer. No issues after 17 years.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #99  
Certainly fine art can be a good investment, but like everything you have to know what you're doing plus it most likely is going to be expensive to start with. Then, like anything you buy it must be insured, a risk of theft, damage, etc. Then you pay an auction fee when sold.
Getting to the "Root Cause" I was thinking (post 1) "So, I was supposed to build a house this year." he was asking the best time to buy material. If one has a good clean dry place to store it, buy what you need at a good price.
Recently I had a few projects and as example bought 27 sheets of OSB for $24/sheet. The project is done, I'm not looking back. If it goes to $10/sheet doesn't matter. I lost $378 but it's over & I'm happy.
I got lucky our horse stable completed right before Covid. If I had waited a few months the contracting company said price would be DOUBLE.

/ Material costs rising- what would you buy now to hedge inflation #100  
Are you saying you never once walked in to find it was 474.8F inside? Imagine that?
Underground storage works very well, even in the summer heat. It's the reason why fuel stations have tanks in the ground. For the farmer, an old home heating oil tank in the cellar works nicely. Most of the time these have screw on filters. Diesel storage becomes simple. Bought a bunch at $2.79 months back.