Max28 and cold Weather

/ Max28 and cold Weather #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Not even cold , just a brisk 13F

I get home early and figure I'll clean up the 2"-3" of snow that has packed down on our road and area around the barn using the max 28 and 6' box blade rather than the Bota with plow.

Max was stared last week
Crank,crank...........................................Crank.........................................Crank,
It did not take long for the undersize battery to start to loose power and not evn a sput from the engine, so I stopped.

I tried the RTV900: Crank, Ruuuph_Purrr. Almost Instant start. Sitting a few days

I tried the L39: Crank, Ruuuph_Purrr. Instant start. Sitting 2 weeks

I treid the PC75 with Mitsubishi 4D95--FF 4Cyl Crank, Ruuuph_cough, Crank, Ruuuph_sput, Crank, Ruuuph_cough cough rump & Purr (Sitting since Christmas in elements, 15 to 20 seconds to get running.) There is a lot to be said for a cab with good heater!

Get battery charger, but deccide to try Max28 again. Crank, Ruuuph_cough, Crank, Ruuuph_cough, Crank, Ruuuph_sput, Crank, Ruuuph_cough cough rump & chug Chug, Chug chug, sort of Purr(Almost a minute to settle down, throttle or no)

I did notice that after the glow plug light went out after 10 seconds on the first attempt to start, on my second attemp to start letting it sit 10 minutes, turn the key, no GP light, not even for a few seconds. Does the glow plug continue to heat even after the light goes out. It did on my old Bota and it does on the RTV also.

I am using same fuel and diesel additive in all machines.
Once I got the Max running I topped offf the tank and added a heathy dose of additive.

Am I missing something is starting procedure with the Max? (Yes I give the Glow plugs proper time, PTO Off everything in nuetral, seat switch fine.)

I like the Max. It has a lot of strong points. Pull/ Pushes BB in snow OK with Chains and 500 LB Counter weight, Setup weighs 3,700 lbs.

Dissapointments are:

Abrupt, jerky loader valve,

Kind of flimsy Loader construction

Weak front curl cylinders compared to loader lift ability., want more "break out"

Can't count on it in cold weather.

Other Little stuff.

Last edited:
   / Max28 and cold Weather #2  
Are you sure the glow plugs were actually getting power? I recall a thread here about another Mahindra where the owner discovered the glow plugs weren't coming on only after weather turned colder and they were really necessary. They had been defective the whole time he owned the tractor but it wasn't noticeable in warmer weather.

The Max 28 has had issues with the fuel solenoid, so that might be something to check into. The normal symptom is that they shut off unexpectedly, but I can see how the same problem would also prevent starting.

Edit: under disappointments, don't forget the lousy seat.

/ Max28 and cold Weather #3  
I have the same engine in my 3016 and I've never had my starter turn over more than about twice, even at those temps.

Last winter was my first with it and I thought that i might need a battery warmer, so I put a trickle charger on it to keep the battery warm and at peak voltage. Used it twice and then decided to see how it started with out it. It started just as well without it. Didn't put it on the charger for the rest of the winter.

This year I put synth oil in it and it should start even easier.

Try giving the glow plugs two cycles.

Try it with a warmed battery, fresh off a charger and see what happens. You shouldn't ever get to the point of flattening out the battery turning it over.

/ Max28 and cold Weather
Are you sure the glow plugs were actually getting power? I recall a thread here about another Mahindra where the owner discovered the glow plugs weren't coming on only after weather turned colder and they were really necessary. They had been defective the whole time he owned the tractor but it wasn't noticeable in warmer weather.

The Max 28 has had issues with the fuel solenoid, so that might be something to check into. The normal symptom is that they shut off unexpectedly, but I can see how the same problem would also prevent starting.

Edit: under disappointments, don't forget the lousy seat.

Would it even start with a bad solenoid, as my excavator did not when it crapped out 2 years ago?
I "fixed" the seat, stealing the suspension off my Old Kubota and rasing the front 1", much better now. Also got the seat wiring really secure.

/ Max28 and cold Weather #5  
The solenoid issue is very intermittent, so it could be hit or miss. Sounded to me like it didn't want to start at all the first try, and then begrudgingly started the second time. But really, I'd wonder about the glow plugs first.

/ Max28 and cold Weather
Page 42 of the owner manual states that the glow plug indicator lamp blinks for 30 seconds after motor starts (See NOTE above Step #9) I never have seen this happen. Would someene corm that thsi is the case?

I'd be really impressed that the tractor is starting without glow plugs!

/ Max28 and cold Weather #7  
Have you got a new battery? and cleaned the ground at the frame?

/ Max28 and cold Weather
Have you got a new battery? and cleaned the ground at the frame?

Yes

I read about battery issues on the forum and have check battery for good connections, well greased, and tested it on my charger/tester.

Page 42 of the owner manual states that the glow plug indicator lamp blinks for 30 seconds after motor starts (See NOTE above Step #9) I never have seen this happen. Would someene confirm that this is the case?

/ Max28 and cold Weather #9  
Page 42 of the owner manual states that the glow plug indicator lamp blinks for 30 seconds after motor starts (See NOTE above Step #9) I never have seen this happen. Would someene corm that thsi is the case?

I'd be really impressed that the tractor is starting without glow plugs!

Your glow plug light should be blinking after start up below 32 F and the ECU detects low cylinder temp.Blinking indicates ECU turning plugs back on. I suspect you have a bad temp sensor. Only time light should go out is +32 F and ECU happy with cylinder temp.:thumbsup:

/ Max28 and cold Weather
Your glow plug light should be blinking after start up below 32 F and the ECU detects low cylinder temp.Blinking indicates ECU turning plugs back on. I suspect you have a bad temp sensor. Only time light should go out is +32 F and ECU happy with cylinder temp.:thumbsup:

I appreciate your input.

I started the reluctatant Max28 tonite, after a whole bunch of tries, each time letting the glow plug go out. I really wonder if my glow plugs are working or have ever worked, given that it was in a garage till spring, never been a clean fast starter in warm weather, and has just been stating harder and harder as the winter progresses. There has never been an instance of the glow plug starting after coughing to life, no flashing light after start with cold motor on a cold day. This is a pain to bring to a dealer. Is stuff like this considered under the 5 yr. powertrain warrantee? If it is not, I wil correct myself.

NOT HAPPY.

Any advice will be considered, where is the Low temperature sender unit, and does anyone have a method of checking? This thing actually has an ECU?