Mayo on corn on the cob

WVH1977

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC40, Hitachi EX100, Gravely Pro-Turn 152
I grew up in Virginia and my grandfather always put mayo on his sweet corn. I have carried on the tradition and love it. My son and daughter love it too. My wife not so much. lol. Anyone else ever done this? If not you should try. Might be pleasantly surprised.

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
We eat a lot of corn on the cob; traditionally we use butter and garlic salt, but it's worth a try next time. I assume you meant mayo, as opposed to salad dressing; we use the terms interchangeably here.

Gee Ray

Gold Member
Tractor
Bota L2501, NH TL80A
Save some bacon grease and store it in the fridge. Try the corn with some bacon grease with salt and pepper. Different flavors of bacon yield different flavors of corn.

I know it's not good or you but it sure tastes good!

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Mayo, chili powder and cotija cheese and lime. Grilled Mexican corn.

Mexican corn.jpeg

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I grew up in Virginia and my grandfather always put mayo on his sweet corn. I have carried on the tradition and love it. My son and daughter love it too. My wife not so much. lol. Anyone else ever done this? If not you should try. Might be pleasantly surprised.
I always grill my corn. I clean the corn, then soak in water 30 minutes. The I slather with butter and whatever spices we like and wrap individually in foil. Grill about 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. I guess you could use Mayo or olive oil instead of butter. Much better than boiling out the flavor in water.

jmc

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST
My best corn-on-the-cob lube is using a cold stick of butter like a crayon, if the corn is still hot. A nice, uniform, thin coating of flavor without being greasy. Salt and pepper stick to it too.

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
Sorry, but the thought makes me cringe. Im a butter and salt guy.

the old grind

Elite Member
Tractor
NH T-1520 HST, NH TC33DA HST, Case DX26 HST, .Terramite T5C, . NH L785
Salt and butter go so well on foods and are great as a side dish, but IMO sweet corn tastes better without trying to get the best balance. That said, cheese or ranch go well on a lot of things too if you're young & in a hurry.

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
My favorite sweet corn is torn off the stalk, warmed by the sun. Tear off the husks and eat, often before leaving the field.

OP
WVH1977

WVH1977

Gold Member
Tractor
I always grill my corn. I clean the corn, then soak in water 30 minutes. The I slather with butter and whatever spices we like and wrap individually in foil. Grill about 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. I guess you could use Mayo or olive oil instead of butter. Much better than boiling out the flavor in water.
I am talking about mayonnaise. I shuck and clean mine and boil for 10 minutes. Then when we start eating I put the mayo on. I like it with butter as well and grilled is good to but my go to is the mayo after boiling.

OP
WVH1977

WVH1977

Gold Member
Tractor
Sorry, but the thought makes me cringe. Im a butter and salt guy.
My wife is the same way. Our first year of marriage, after picking corn she could not believe I was putting mayonnaise on it. Gave me a weird look. LOL

grsthegreat

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE hst cab
If i saw someone put mayo on corn…..id be on the lookout for the men with the white coats with straps 🐸

Sawyer Rob

Tractor
several brands
All the mexicans around here really pour the mayo to their corn on the cob...

They tell me, that's it's how it's done in Mexico.

SR

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
I had a girlfriend once that was the bestest cook. Even if it was pig tail soup. She put mayonnaise and salt and pepper on corn. It was a good thing.

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
Try Mexican grilled corn. It might make a believer out of you.

I eat corn many ways, including as a grilled corn and poblano with avocado salad. Google some of the recipes. You might find your new favorite recipe for corn. As much as I like traditional steamed or boiled corn on the cob, some of the other recipes go better with certain dishes or are just nice to have for a change. I will say, I do like chili powder on my corn, regardless of how I prepare it.

tomplum

Veteran Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
I used to eat mayo on corn as a kid. Everyone thought I was nuts. Is there a club, special handshake?

the old grind

Elite Member
Tractor
NH T-1520 HST, NH TC33DA HST, Case DX26 HST, .Terramite T5C, . NH L785
Nowadays I see kids just dip cobs into ranch like they were pizza slices, wiping the bowl with a finger between top-ups or dipping one when "I'm full" and licking it off. btw, just don't do that on a date, gals won't always appreciate the need to be thorough.

I'll stick with smothering cobs in ambient light once served. Corn has a flavor I like. Well, so do veggies, taters, meat, etc. Bet I save a few hun/year on sauces, dips, and condiments I wouldn't use, not to mention napkins and chapstick. :sneaky:

nbking

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501HST. RTV-X 900.
Growing up, we had sweet corn right out of the garden. Mom would shuck it, place it in a ice bath for about an hour, then boil them in milk on the stove, Dad and I used butter, salt and pepper, Mom and my brother put mayo on them. Never thought it was weird, just not my way. Now the wife and I just pull back the husk, get rid of the hair, she makes a smear of salted butter, garlic salt and garlic powder, smears it all over, pulls the husk back up and we grill it. So tasty

JethroB

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L5460 HST
I like mayonnaise on butter beans so I’ll give corn a try next time. We grew up on mayonnaise sandwiches, still like them. Ranch is good on most everything including baked potatoes.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Doesn't mayo pretty much melt down to eggs and oil?

I enjoy mayo with french fried potatos, or any potato really.

Garlic mayo and grilled asparagus is sublime.

Sweet corn? I prefer it "straight up"! No butter or salt, Maybe pepper, or a dash of Franks hot sauce if it's on the table ;-)

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Mayo is for chicken/chicken salad, green salads and ham sandwiches...mustard for everything else, especially cheeseburgers.
Corn on the cob? Garlic salt, butter and pepper...same for shrimp and asparagus...cooked on the grill.

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
I tried Mayo on corn on the cob. It was OK but I prefer butter, garlic salt - etc.

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
Growing up, we had sweet corn right out of the garden. Mom would shuck it, place it in a ice bath for about an hour, then boil them in milk on the stove, Dad and I used butter, salt and pepper, Mom and my brother put mayo on them. Never thought it was weird, just not my way. Now the wife and I just pull back the husk, get rid of the hair, she makes a smear of salted butter, garlic salt and garlic powder, smears it all over, pulls the husk back up and we grill it. So tasty
when is the next time she is cooking corn? :)

tomplum

Veteran Member
Tractor
XJ2025H
I know what you mean, some grilled corn seems mighty tasty right about now. I think it will be at least a few months before I get my corn on the cob.

CalG

Elite Member
Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
Oooo! You guys are making me WANT CORN! ;-)

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
I've still got to get mine planted, so I won't be having any for a while. We do have some(corn off the cob) in the freezer though.

kwbobwi

Tractor
Farmall A
Once in a while I'll make corn on the cob with mayo and chili powder sprinkled on it then wrapped in tin foil and throw them on the grill or in the oven.
Tastes better than it sounds