Meat Grinder recommendations

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
With the price of meat skyrocketing and inflation getting worse every month, we are wanting to start processing more of our own meat. Most of it would be for making dog food. We have wild hogs on our land that we can hunt year round, and a bunch of roosters every year that turn into the devil when they mature. Our past practice has been to cut the meat up with a knife and cook it in the crock pot until it's soft and then mix it in with other ingredients. It's a slow process that could be made easier if we could grind it up.

What do you have and what should I be looking for? Our goal is to buy it once and spend whatever it takes to have something that will last as long as possible. Of course, the less it costs, the better. From what I've read, commercial grade is considerably better then the lower priced units, and the more metal and stainless steel, the better. Other then that, I'm clueless.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations
   / Meat Grinder recommendations #3  
Good thinking ahead. Here are some great grinders to compare. Some are very reasonably priced.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #4  
The only electric grinder I ever used was in the meat department of the grocery store I worked in as a kid. We would load that grinder with 100lbs at a time. Not practical for home use. All we have at home now is a hand crank meat grinder. :)

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #5  
We have a meat grinder attachment for the Cuisinart stand mixer in the kitchen. We use it for making loose meat sandwiches but we have also used it for grinding the "junk" meat from 2 deer that we processed at home. The size of tube going from the tray to the auger is the deciding factor on how fast the process is.

For once a year it is a good and cheap method.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #6  
So, how much meat are we talking here? Assuming it is a whole hog at a time, I would definitely go for a commercial or semicommercial unit. I have only used KitchenAid (home) and Hobart (commercial). Do the math on pounds per hour and see where you need to be.

I would look around for restaurant auctions, or a commercial supplier that might be able to get you a used commercial unit at a reasonable price. If you are buying new, look for NSF or ETL certification; those units will be higher quality and easier to keep clean.

FWIW: We just coarsely chop the meat for our dogs, and freeze a portion for a day or two worth, but they are larger (70lbs).

All the best,

Peter

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #7  
EVERYONE hates Cabelas prices, but they sell a pretty good meat grinder and they go on sale a couple times a year. Get about the third one up from the bottom and it will last.

SR

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #8  
EVERYONE hates Cabelas prices, but they sell a pretty good meat grinder and they go on sale a couple times a year. Get about the third one up from the bottom and it will last.

SR
I agree with the commercial grade ones from Cabelas. I have an attachment for the kitchenaid mixer, but it is "small-time" and not for serious grinding. I find frozen or very cold meat grinds easier -- the Cabelas ones seem to know this cold matters and have cold-pack technology in them.

/ Meat Grinder recommendations #10  
I don't know about the Cabelas units. When in Alaska we ground our moose meat with a Hobart grinder. Simple, quick, semi-commercial, very easy to clean.