Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #1  

snymat68

Platinum Member
Tractor
RK24H, Gravely 8123
Note: I've already brought this issue up to RK. They were very understanding and are FedEx'ing me 2 new lenses (should arrive today). They have made the issue known to TYM's team with my pictures, engine hrs, etc.

I just wanted to post this up here as well to raise awareness for anyone else that might be having the same issue. (At least one other RK24 owner that I spoke with on Facebook has the same issue.)

The issue is that the heat from the brake light bulbs is melting the red plastic lenses above the bulbs. (See pictures.)
This is happening on both sides.
I first noticed this at around 70 hrs on the tractor. Half of that time was backhoe work, during which the brake was engaged with the lights on for long periods.
My orange lenses (turn signals / 4-ways) are fine. Probably due to them not being used nearly as much.

YMMV, but this is just a heads up for anyone with the same/similar tractor.
Before I install the new lenses, I plan to change all the bulbs out to LED versions (which run a lot cooler) to keep this from happening again.
Others might want to consider doing the same.

This concludes today's public service bulletin. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum browsing.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #2  
I had that when I bought my Kubota Wheel Loader. The brake light is much brighter (and hotter) than the running light, and not normally on very long. I thought, maybe the previous owner had a stuck brake light switch at some point. I replaced the lense and never had another problem.

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o
I had that when I bought my Kubota Wheel Loader. The brake light is much brighter (and hotter) than the running light, and not normally on very long. I thought, maybe the previous owner had a stuck brake light switch at some point. I replaced the lense and never had another problem.

Maybe I'm a special case (my wife would probably say I am), but my brake lights are on a lot. Pretty much if my right foot isn't pressing a go pedal my left foot is on the brake. But I think the real culprit is the backhoe. If I'm using that the brakes are on. So, other than moving the tractor around, the brake lights can be on for hours at a time. But regardless, it's still a material/component selection issue. I'm glad the company seems to be taking it seriously and actually looking into fixing it.

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #4  
If it's just a standard bayonet socket bulb, I would replace it with LED, if you say you have the light on a lot.

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #6  
I have never had the brake lights stay on when I am digging with the BH.

When the machine is lifted off the ground there seems to be no reason to engage the brakes. I usually have the front lifted with the loader and the back with the stabilizers.

I will admit, I have never dug with a RK or TYM tractor - but I used many other brands.

I have never had the brake lights stay on when I am digging with the BH.

When the machine is lifted off the ground there seems to be no reason to engage the brakes. I usually have the front lifted with the loader and the back with the stabilizers.

I will admit, I have never dug with a RK or TYM tractor - but I used many other brands.
As do I, but regardless, the lenses shouldn't melt.

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #8  
Some LS tractor owners had the same problem. I replaced my bulbs with LED's before mine melted the lenses.

I just got home and checked the porch for the new lenses. They sent me 2 completely new light assemblies (which include the lenses). Unnecessary, but a nice surprise.

/ Melted Brake Light Lenses! :-o #10  
I had the same crappy tail lights on my Mahindra eMax and my lenses melted also. I decided new lenses would probably also melt, so I replaced the lights with a set of LED trailer lights from Harbor Freight (Item #64275). Only about $32 with 20% off coupon.

20190612_170031.jpg20190612_170046.jpg