Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places

/ Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places #11  
Yes it does and that's why nature lines the banks of streams and rivers with trees.

I think you need to take a trip down a river. Trees do not hold soil. Just look at all the roots exposed on river banks. Also. River banks are not dams.
FEMA did a comprehensive study on trees on dams in 2005. All the evidence of the erosion caused by trees is well documented.

Our HOA is in the process of paying big $$ to repair a small silting dam due to someone 40 years ago thinking trees on the dam was a good idea. The cost will be huge since a road crosses the dam.

Below is an example of what happens when trees are allowed to grow.
View attachment 446433

/ Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places #12  
Yes it does and that's why nature lines the banks of streams and rivers with trees.
Trees stabilize the banks of moving water. For stationary water, the trees provide a pathway for seepage . The seepage is detrimental to safe operation of a dam.

/ Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places
Here are a couple of photos I took earlier this year of the growth on the dam. dam.jpgdam3.jpgdam.jpgdam3.jpgdam2.jpg

/ Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places #14  
Seepage through the dam would follow the roots. This will lead to channels for water to flow in the dam

Exactly. The roots will weaken the dam. Frankly, I'd spray the trees and let them die. I'd be afraid of more damage being done by grubbing out the roots.

Ok, now that I see the photos, I'm less concerned. This dam has less rise than I was envisioning.

/ Mesquite Growing on Dam - other places #15  
Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like most of the problem is above the normal high water level. I'd see about getting a dozer guy to look it over and see what he could do with it. Probably could just push out the offenders, and then re-contour the dam to make it look nice, then get some grass growing on it as soon as possible. Might even be able to pull most of them out and cause less soil disturbance.