Metal cutting of clean painted square tube

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
The welding forum wasn't quite right and there's not a metal working forum, so I guess my question goes here.

I'll be installing a bunch of pre-fab iron railings that I'll need to cut to length (Fortress FE26). The rails to be cut are about 1-1/2" square tube with a (supposedly) super-durable finish. So I want to make nice, clean, square, precise cuts with minimal heating of the metal to minimize damaging the finish.

I've got a 12" sliding compound miter saw that I assume can be fitted with a fiber cutoff wheel or metal-cutting blade (but I haven't found either one in 12" size).

I've got a good ole hacksaw, and a variable-speed sawzall.

I've got angle grinders fitted with fiber cutoff wheels.

I've got "skilsaws" and I've heard that Harbor Freight has a decent 7-1/4" metal-cutting blade.

What's the best nice, clean, square, precise, cool option?

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #2  
Metal cutting band saw. :(

Bruce

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #3  
The welding forum wasn't quite right and there's not a metal working forum, so I guess my question goes here.

I'll be installing a bunch of pre-fab iron railings that I'll need to cut to length (Fortress FE26). The rails to be cut are about 1-1/2" square tube with a (supposedly) super-durable finish. So I want to make nice, clean, square, precise cuts with minimal heating of the metal to minimize damaging the finish.

I've got a 12" sliding compound miter saw that I assume can be fitted with a fiber cutoff wheel or metal-cutting blade (but I haven't found either one in 12" size).

I've got a good ole hacksaw, and a variable-speed sawzall.

I've got angle grinders fitted with fiber cutoff wheels.

I've got "skilsaws" and I've heard that Harbor Freight has a decent 7-1/4" metal-cutting blade.

What's the best nice, clean, square, precise, cool option?

I just used that 7 1/4" metal blade from Harbor Freight & it worked good.
At $20 what have you got to loose?
I had it on my radial arm saw. Put the blade on your miter saw, you only need 2" of blade cutting.

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #6  
Any abrasive disc is going to generate tons of heat and burn the paint back some distance from the cut. Don't use any of those. Metal cutting bandsaw either dry or with lube would be the preferred method, as already noted. You might get away with the metal cutting circular saw blade - with teeth, not abrasive! Probably your best bet is to either get a metal cutting BS, or find someone to do it for you if that is not a good option for you.

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #7  
Another vote for metal cutting band saw.
Also another vote for the Welding Forum being "not quite right" ;)

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #8  
Yep, band saw with coolant for sure. That 12 inch miter saw will be running too many rpm for steel in my opinion. I believe my Makita runs at 3200 rpm.

With a blade that big I wouldn't run over 100 rpm cutting mild steel with carbide tips. With a high speed steel blade the speeds would need to be even slower, somewhere around 30-40 rpm.

Kevin

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #9  
Metal blade on miter saw, super easy and square cuts.

/ Metal cutting of clean painted square tube #10  
Just a reminder...if you go with the bandsaw option don't forget to get a quality bi metal fine tooth blade like Lenox (for one). At least three teeth of the bandsaw blade must contact the workpiece at all times to prevent chatter and shearing off teeth due to tooth overload. Like all metal cutting tools, be it end mills or taps/dies or drills or bandsaw blades, buying quality is always money well spent and is always cheaper in the long run.