Metal Detectors

/ Metal Detectors #1  

Bob77064

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 LS R3039
Who has a metal detector and what have you found?

/ Metal Detectors #2  
We had an old Montgomery Wards unit that worked well for finding dropped lynch pins or whatever in pasture grass. It died, been looking to replace it. I'm interested in what answers you get.

Thanks for asking the question!

/ Metal Detectors #4  
Here's a link one place I've been looking at in my spare time to see all the various options to read and learn about. They seem to be the "Amazon" of metal detectors...

Metal Detector Super Store - Kellyco Metal Detectors

So far I've learned I need to learn more :D

/ Metal Detectors #5  
I have a minelab soverign i purchased from Kellyco a few years ago. Its a great machine, but has a definite learning curve. Lately i have not had much time to go hunting with it. Last year i spent a few hours looking over an old cedar logging site from the 1880's in north idhao.

Found some weird stuff, like tree climbing spikes, a 24" piece of railroad steel buried about 20" deep, and old tin fork and part of a tin plate. Also found 3 old drafthorse shoes.

I saw pictures in the local museum of loggers standing about 6' off the ground standing on these similar spikes to fall the trees. The railroad steel was used as a portable anvil for repairing shoes. Not much of value, but its fun to find 100+ year old stuff.

/ Metal Detectors #6  
I look at old home sites with the Grandkids. Approximately 150 years old. Nothing left standing except part of a chimney here and there. Have found old Carburetor, pocket knife, alarm clock, harness rings, all sorts of hand tools without handles. We also find old bottles if we can find the place where they dumped the garbage. These houses were poor peoples houses trying to farm enough to feed their own families so no old coins. I wonder why they ever picked the places they did to live.

/ Metal Detectors #7  
Over 20 years ago I bought my White's 6000/Di PRO SL from Kellyco and it still preforms well. also have an older model white's 6000 I bought from a friend when he got a new Minelab. Haven't done much detecting the last few years but I have found lots of coins, tokens and such when I did it regularly. Found shell casings and an old military uniform button where the army had a skirmish with Indians. Half the fun is learning local history while finding places to hunt. Just make sure it is legal to hunt on public land and you have permission when hunting private land. Like grs stated there is a learning curve to running a metal detector. You need a good set of headphones to really hear the different tones the detector makes.

/ Metal Detectors
Thanks for the responses.

/ Metal Detectors #9  
Thanks for the responses.

Thanks for the question! I hope more people comment on what they have, and their likes and dislikes.

I want one to explore old homesteads and campsites. I also have heard tales of an old bivouac from the Aroostook War Aroostook War (United States-Canadian history) -- Encyclopedia Britannica

Supposedly a hunter discovered an old cache of weapons but could never find his way back. From the description I always suspected it was on a piece of property which my employer owns... based on what a fellow employee recently told me I now have it pinned to within 50 acres or so, about 1/4 mile from a new road we put in. This deer season I'll be tracking down more than game...if I find it the only thing I plan to take is pictures but it should be fun.

/ Metal Detectors #10  
I'll second that. I would like to find out what everyone has and the likes and dislikes. I am hoping to purchase one by the end of the year.