Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards?

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #1  

JFoy

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Our new building has a 4:12 metal roof. When they came to put on the gutters, it was highly recommended to get these ice/snow guards installed. I've talked to a couple companies and received a lot of different advice. Some have clear plastic glue-on pieces, others have screw-ins, etc.

First snow was here a couple weeks ago and as the snow was sliding off, we heard the gutters rumbling loudly as the snow went across them so I'm liking the snow guard idea.

What are your thoughts on the various products out there?

Thanks,
JFoy

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #2  
I sadly remoed my "lifetime" cedar roof and put on steel, that looks like tiles but comes in sheets, peak to eave. First winter, sliding ice destroyed my new eaves trough. I bought these transparent brackets, choosing them for appearence. Bounting them to something solid is an issue and a couple of them tore out.

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #3  
One of my customers is Sno Gem. I’m planning on building a house with a partial metal roof and asked the VP about the stick on guards always falling off. He said if the metal is prepped correctly it isn’t a problem and that a lot of contractors skip the cleaning of the roof

If your doing the work yourself the stick on guards are a one man install. The bars would probably take two people

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #4  
Do you have valleys? Roof over a door that snow will slid on top of? I wouldn't put them, on unless you have a reason to. Glue-on ones wouldn't last a year here. The gutters should be mounted low enough to not be bothered by slide-off. Photos of your roof would be very helpful.

Our new building has a 4:12 metal roof. When they came to put on the gutters, it was highly recommended to get these ice/snow guards installed. I've talked to a couple companies and received a lot of different advice. Some have clear plastic glue-on pieces, others have screw-ins, etc.

First snow was here a couple weeks ago and as the snow was sliding off, we heard the gutters rumbling loudly as the snow went across them so I'm liking the snow guard idea.

What are your thoughts on the various products out there?

Thanks,
JFoy

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #5  
Mine just sheared off #8 screws!

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #6  
They make some gutter guards/gutter helmets that would have the snow sliding over the gutter. Stopping the snow on an entire 4/12 metal roof has a very special name.......asphalt shingles!!

IMG_5121.jpgIMG_5120.jpg

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #7  
if you have a standing seam metal roof then I prefer the bolt on bars.....if it's a screw down metal roof then I like the glue on as I prefer not to add any more holes to the roofing then necessary....just accept that you will have to reapply the ones that get loose from time to time.....also keep in mind the concept is to prevent the snow from sliding due to the metal heating up...they basically hold the snow in place and let it melt off.....so a single row is probably not sufficient......generally a double row down by the eaves and multiple double rows going up the roof depending on the eave to peak length......check with the manufacturer of the snow guards you are buying .....most will give you a shop drawing with the amount and dimensions of spacing for you roof and location.....the more rows of guards you have the less force any one guard will have to hold back......Jack

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #8  
I failed to heed my builder's advice and put my doors on the sidewall. Snow will accumulate on the roof but when it decides to let go it (after it has "cooked" on the roof to the density of concrete) I know it. I think it could seriously hurt somebody if they weren't paying attention. Of course putting "brakes" on the roof is still on my list (one of those things you don't think about in the summer time). A friend used the plastic ones (several rows in a staggered pattern...sealed and screwed). Another friend used the metal bar. Both are satisfied.

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #9  
I think you could get by in NC without them. They are a pita and you'd be surprised how many you really need to put on to retain the snow and not rip out with a heavy snow (depth) that would cause damage to your gutters. I'd be more inclined to lower your gutters some so that the snow passes over it. You may have a real heavy downpour overshoot your gutters but normal rains will find the gutters.

/ Metal roof - Ice / Snow Guards? #10  
I asked my Morton representative about snow guards above the doors when it was built in 2013. He said Morton advises against them. They want the snow/ice off the roof as soon as possible.