metal roof self adhesive discs

/ metal roof self adhesive discs #1  

gerard

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT w/FEL
Anyone know of a source for the self adhesive foil discs designed to cover the nailheads on metal roofs? I've gone through several searches/roofing company sites etc w/o seeing the product I'm refering to. I know they make them cause I've sseen them before but know forgot where!!

/ metal roof self adhesive discs #2  
Gerard,

I used metal screws with a rubber/viton collar around the base that seals against the ridge seam in the metal roof - makes a compression fit thats tight and sealed.

Most metal roofing nails I thought had the same collar. In any event try this site - they have a ton of stuff related to nails - caps etc.

http://www.mazenails.com/01cat2.pdf

Carl

/ metal roof self adhesive discs
thanx - The barn/arena is a little older and the original nails did have the rubber collars but they were nails, not screws and over time some have worked loose over time. I've seen the foil backed adhesive discs so I know SOMEONE makes them and thought they'd be pretty simple to apply.

/ metal roof self adhesive discs #4  
gerard,
Could you use the foil tape that's adhesive backed, that they use on furnace ducts? That stuff stays where it's put real good.

/ metal roof self adhesive discs #5  
There is a product to repare truck trailers that is a foil with about a 1/64 rubber like tar on it.Very stickey stuff.Comes in a roll 6"x20'.You could cut out a bushel er two out of a roll,bound ta be cheeper.

/ metal roof self adhesive discs #7  
Good luck in your quest. My 70x35 metal shop was leaking a lot because the little gasket thingies under the heads of the self tapping screws got old and cracked a lot (and other reasons, not all of which I understand). My wife and I spent the better part of two days on the roof with "duel'n caulk'n guns" covering virtually every screw head regardless of its proximity to a leak. Now we have almost no leaks except with high winds but that is air driving the water up and over the overlapping undulations in a few selected spots, some of which I hit with spray foam and cured.

50 year GE silicone II will defer the problem till way beyond my personal interest.

Patrick