Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY?

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY? #1  

mbohuntr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 1533
I had a 60" Puma I bought used from a fella here, and used it for about 8 years without issues. The only time I would break a grade 2 pin is if I got a little greedy and pushed too hard.
I sold that with the tractor and bought a 1533, and a hardly used year old Meteor 60", had just a scratch or two. Problem is, I run at 540 rpms, and will break a grade 2 on fluffy snow. Talked to a neighbor, and he recommended spraying it w/ WD-40, and switching to grade 5 pins.
It got better, but I still shear pins at what I consider light to medium loading. Went thru 3 yesterday with 3"of snow????

PTO turns easy by hand, no binding or resistance at all...
Any Ideas???

Thanks,
Mike

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY? #2  
Should have kept the Puma I sold you. (and I think it was 64")

On the meteor are the shear pin holes worn? If the shear bolts are loose in the hole they will shear quicker from too much play.
Are they Metric shear bolts? Metric diameter may fit the hole better.

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY?
Should have kept the Puma I sold you. (and I think it was 64")

On the meteor are the shear pin holes worn? If the shear bolts are loose in the hole they will shear quicker from too much play.
Are they Metric shear bolts? Metric diameter may fit the hole better.

Well HELLO George! I sure miss that PUMA! The lady I sold them to absolutely loves them, and treats them right!

Anyway, The blower was/is new, the hole fit a tight 1/4-20 bolt. Seems to shear right thru them long before the tractor even sees a load.... At least the 2615 would lug a little before snapping one....

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY? #4  
OK, I was just wondering about how loose the bolts fit because that will shear them quicker. I now have a Lorenz 7' double auger blower that also uses 1/4-20 bolts. The exterior of the blower has 4 holes on each side for 8 spares so I was expecting to shear them often but haven't sheared any yet.

When you replace them are they tightened or are the bolts too long and not enough threads on the bolt? If they are too long they will slide up and down in the hole.
My bolts are grade 5.

OK, I was just wondering about how loose the bolts fit because that will shear them quicker. I now have a Lorenz 7' double auger blower that also uses 1/4-20 bolts. The exterior of the blower has 4 holes on each side for 8 spares so I was expecting to shear them often but haven't sheared any yet.

When you replace them are they tightened or are the bolts too long and not enough threads on the bolt? If they are too long they will slide up and down in the hole.
My bolts are grade 5.

Actually, I change them so often, I don't even use the nut. Maybe tightening the bolt will make a difference... I never tightened them on the Puma.

I bought some longer green grade 5 bolts from Tractor supply today, Maybe the others were mislabeled as 5..... I think I've gone thru 20-30 bolts this season, more than the Puma all it's life!!

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY? #7  
I'm not familiar with Meteor blowers but on my old IH blower a loose chain will cause broken shear bolts. Is your chain too loose?

/ Meteor blower breaking plenty of shear pins... WHY? #8  
Actually, I change them so often, I don't even use the nut. Maybe tightening the bolt will make a difference... I never tightened them on the Puma.

I found some of the grade 5 bolts I bought didn't have enough threads for the nut to tighten against the shaft so I put 1/4" flat washers on the bolt to make up the difference. I've had less breakage when the bolt and nut are tight on the shaft. Or maybe I'm just going slower into big piles in my old age. Also, check chain tightness.

I found some of the grade 5 bolts I bought didn't have enough threads for the nut to tighten against the shaft so I put 1/4" flat washers on the bolt to make up the difference. I've had less breakage when the bolt and nut are tight on the shaft. Or maybe I'm just going slower into big piles in my old age. Also, check chain tightness.

That sounds like good advise! Thanks! I'll keep you posted.
Mike

George, YOUR A GENIUS! Bought different grade 5 bolts, and snugged it up tight. Went thru 12" of heavy, wet snow without breaking a single pin!

THANKS!