MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #1  

MJOBrien

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
Hi all.

I decided to overhaul the Hydraulic lift in my Massey Ferguson 135. There was no response to the levers until nearly pulled back all the way. There was also a leak from the PTO and the Control Spring had quite a bit of free play, which with any movement in the top link the lift arms would rise and lower erratically.
I followed all the steps as described in the Shop Manual to remove the Hydraulic Top Cover. When I came to the stage suitably retain the dashpot plunger (I was to use an elastic band). There was no dashpot plunger. I spoke to an old fella who does some work on tractors whom said the dashpot plunger is not entirely necessary.
I have enquired at my local tractor parts store and searched online for a replacement Dashpot Plunger. So far I have not had any luck in sourcing one.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #2  
Hello Mr. OBrian, I am overhauling some of the hydraulics on my Massey 135 as well. The draft control isn't working as it should. Yesterday I removed the top link and adjusted the spring. A bigger job than it sounds in the manual. I took some pictures and will post them later today, I left my camera in the garage. I am interested to see what the replies will be on the elastic band for the plunger, I am missing mine as well. I have to go now but I will post later.

MF135.jpg 135 Hyd.jpg

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #3  
When freeing up the threaded rod I had to use a torch and get a good weld on the nut. A new rubber boot will be here tomorrow. Just making the adjustment on the spring helped with the operation of the lift arms. Next I have to replace the diaphragm.

Hydraulics 1.JPG Top Link.JPG Weld nut.JPG Remove spring.JPG

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #4  
There is lots of knowledgeable guys on here and I am sure you will get advice on any problems you may run into. In my case the lift arms where not lifting all the way up and were jerky. It is a pain when you have more than one problem but you have to work your way through them. I have been checking mine with the side cover off and running the tractor. That's how I new the diaphragm was leaking out a weep hole. A pressure check is important as well.
DSC01779.jpg

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #5  
Mr. O'Brian here is a couple more photo's I took that may help you. I always find that you can't have to much info when doing a project. Manuals can sometimes be confusing for people like myself. Anytime you have the hydraulic lift cover off it is a good time to clean the oil filter and check O-rings on the stand pipe.

Control Diaphragm.JPG Diaphragm.JPG Filter1.JPG Stand pipe.JPG

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #6  
PS! I have not had an elastic on my dashpot plunger since owning my 135.

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger
Hi all
I was at the Massey Ferguson Dealer today. I spoke to the boss man, years of experience, nice man. The Dashpot Plunger is not critically needed (Although I would like to have it, to keep tractor as original as possible). He said it was to control the rate (speed) of drop. Anyway I could not get one. Can't be bought new and very slim chance of getting any second hand one.

Ralph

The Dashpot Plunger is to be suitably retained before lifting off the top cover or flipping it over if using an engine heist when servicing to prevent the Dashpot Plunger and the spring it sits on being lost. (and to be removed afterwards). Please see attached image of one way to retain the Dashpot Plunger. I got this from another forum.
Dashpot.jpg

My Control Spring was surprisingly easy to remove. I was to make the MF 263 Tool (see image) but there was a small notch on the Draft Control Spring Nut, one tap with a wedge and it was off. I did Sacrificed the Plunger and cut it. It took quite a bit of time, heat and WD40 to remove it from the Clevis.

mf 163 wrench special tool.jpg

I got a pressure gauge and fitted it with a hose with 3/8 bsp to fit the tapped port on the Hydraulic Top Cover. As you said, a pressure test Important.

Lovely Tractor by the way. Great Pictures, keep up the good work. The MF 135 is some workhorse and very versatile. Brilliant little Tractor.

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #8  
I got everything back together on my MF 135 and hydraulics are strong once again. I had a friend you weighs over 300 + lbs. stand on the back of angle blade in photo and it lifted it nice and smooth with no problems. Plus the blade has a 5 gal. bucket of chain to help keep down pressure on it. It's nice when things work out.
MF1.jpg MF4.jpg

/ MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #9  
   / MF 135 Hydraulics Overhaul Missing Dashpot Plunger #10  
Mr Ralph, hope you can help me. I brought MF 135 and it’s missing all the parts I have marked in the picture.(yellow)(hydro was not working due to cracked cylinder) now I m trying to put it together but I m worried about missing parts. What is the purpose of those parts? Can’t use 3 point with out those parts? Thank you
03AFDF28-486A-41B0-9850-957259056940.jpeg
3A59CC0D-56D7-444C-BF1D-8C1897EA1EF7.jpeg
D1AE877A-23B0-48C8-91BF-5C2C47F2AEA3.jpeg
2B5BD790-E9F2-41B2-B38F-BA2270A7433B.jpeg
49615B1A-C90A-482E-B547-6CFD555242FD.jpeg