MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #1  

pmsmechanic

Elite Member
Tractor
4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245
I was recently given a MF 165. I worked for several hours trying to get the tractor to start. The fuel line from the tank to the filters was replaced because it was plugged with a varnish like substance. The filters were replaced and fuel was able to be pumped into the injection pump. It still wouldn't start and after talking with the local diesel shop it was concluded that the rack in the injection pump was also varnished up.

My question is this: Is there a way to pump varsol or diesel fuel through the pump to dissolve and wash the varnish like substance away? If not is taking the pump apart myself just to wash it out something that is doable by a person with mechanical abilities? I have my heavy duty ticket.

I would love to have an overhaul manual for the injection pump and just carefully take it apart and clean it and put it back together myself.

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #2  
The "rack" ??
Isnt the inj. pump a CAV DPA ?? {no rack}

DO NOT pump Varsol thru it.. it uses the fuel to lubricate the close tolerance parts inside..& the main pumping unit, Head & Rotor, will seize.
THEN you really got a small boat anchor..
Theres hundreds of videos online showing u how to take it apart & put it back together..
Lets just say, I get A LOT of business from folks that watch those videos tho.. BUT if u put them ALL together.. u might just luck out..

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #3  
I don't know MF at all. With the older Caterpillar diesels you could remove the side plate to free the rack. If you do have a problem beyond that, having been given the tractor, it may be in your best interests to have the pump professionally done.

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish
The "rack" ??
Isnt the inj. pump a CAV DPA ?? {no rack}

DO NOT pump Varsol thru it.. it uses the fuel to lubricate the close tolerance parts inside..& the main pumping unit, Head & Rotor, will seize.
THEN you really got a small boat anchor..
Theres hundreds of videos online showing u how to take it apart & put it back together..
Lets just say, I get A LOT of business from folks that watch those videos tho.. BUT if u put them ALL together.. u might just luck out..

Thanks for the advice.

I helped a guy out once who took the governor (?) assembly off of a injection pump from a 1850 Cockshutt tractor. He twisted off one of the 4 bolts holding the governor (?) housing on. I'm just shaking my head at what he had done but I figured what does he have to loose. I drilled the stub out and installed a helicoil. There was metal chips all over the place. I told him to wash it all out good and put it all back together. That tractor is still running.

I would not be scared to take it apart if I had a good manual as I can readily translate words into actions. I'll check on the model of pump and get back on here. Today it's snowing but later in the week we should be getting warmer weather.

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #6  
Lol.. THAT is the video I was talking about..Lol.. I haven't watched it all the way thru, so I don't know what he says wrong.. BUT I get a lot of business from people that watched & tried, using that video..
1st thing they says is> I watched a rebuild video on utube & now it wont run at all.. MY response is> was it the BundyBear video.?? Theirs is YES, How did u know.?? LOL.
Anyway.. the Gasket Kit P# is > 7135-110 & can be purchased online..
There are special tools needed to get it apart w/o damaging the components. 1 is the transfer pump rotor & the other is the cam ball screw..
The manual is online somewhere.. IF your pump is a CAV DPA..
There are afew parts that get replaced almost 100% from wear. BUT I need the P# off the pumps name plate to get the correct P#'s for ya.

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #7  
Thanks for the advice.

I helped a guy out once who took the governor (?) assembly off of a injection pump from a 1850 Cockshutt tractor. He twisted off one of the 4 bolts holding the governor (?) housing on. I'm just shaking my head at what he had done but I figured what does he have to loose. I drilled the stub out and installed a helicoil. There was metal chips all over the place. I told him to wash it all out good and put it all back together. That tractor is still running.

I would not be scared to take it apart if I had a good manual as I can readily translate words into actions. I'll check on the model of pump and get back on here. Today it's snowing but later in the week we should be getting warmer weather.

Perhaps the better idea might be to put the thing in Canada Post, and send it down to thepumpguysc ?

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish
Perhaps the better idea might be to put the thing in Canada Post, and send it down to thepumpguysc ?

That could be a possibility. Canada post is out though - too expensive. I fairly regularly go to Sweet Grass MT to pick up parts and freight and could easily FedEx it there. A month or two later I could go again and pick it up. The thought had already crossed my mind. First other more urgent priorities.

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #9  
That could be a possibility. Canada post is out though - too expensive. I fairly regularly go to Sweet Grass MT to pick up parts and freight and could easily FedEx it there. A month or two later I could go again and pick it up. The thought had already crossed my mind. First other more urgent priorities.
you might be better off with a local shop(cheaper)..

/ MF 165 diesel injection pump varnish #10  
IDK personally but I hear horror stories about the inj. pump shops "up there"..
Several weeks to a month to get back & paying double what he coulda got a NEW aftermarket pump for, off the web..
I tried to break into the Canadian market but the shipping was cost prohibitive.. I think it STARTED at 60.00 {US}