MF 471 w/MF 1040 loader control issues

/ MF 471 w/MF 1040 loader control issues #1  

farrier111

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 471 w/MF 1040 Loader
I have a 1040 loader on the tractor I just bought at auction and the controller is a 2 lever not a joystick. The directional controls for both the bucket and the lift react in reverse of normal. Push forward on either of the levers causes either the bucket to rotate up or with the other lever forward push makes the loader lift. Just the opposite occurs when I pull the levers to the rear. When pushing either lever forward the bucket or the lift is very fragmented and jerks constantly as it slowly raises the loader or rotates the bucket like to pick up dirt. Neither the bucket or the lift have hardly any strength when trying to lift a load and I have to reverse the tractor just to get a quarter bucket full of dirt to rotate. Is it possible that the lines at the front and rear of each control valve are reversed? The dump and lower the lift functions work perfectly, but the raise and rotate barely can lift a sack of feed. Having a lot of trouble in Jacksonville Fl to find ANYONE who still work on a tractor, most want to only work on a piece of equipment they originally sold....

Edit: I just cracked the line on the front side of the lift valve and the fluid that leaked out was like pure foam, like the head of a draft beer.

Last edited:
   / MF 471 w/MF 1040 loader control issues #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Sounds like air in the lines:
Check fluid level
Check suction tube fittings/hoses/connectors for cracks/sucking air
Clean out suction tube strainer
Tighten all fittings between pump/SCV/cylinders.
If those don't fix the problem you have an issue internally in the pump or SCV -pump being more likely than SCV here.

If you want your lever directions swapped yes you can swap the two lines going to/from your cylinder at the SCV. Don't touch the SCV input or drain lines.