Mice chewed brake wires

/ Mice chewed brake wires #1  

radioman

Tractor
Kubota BX24
a few days ago I came home with a full load of firewood on a rainy day with my 16 ft trailer. On the way I was wondering why my trailer was listing to one side when stoping and felt rough. I saw the tire was worn thru as you see in the pictures. It was only one tire and not the other three. I took the hubs of and found a mouse nest in all four hubs and the mice chewed ask of my brake wires.needles to say I was pissed but overwhelmed by the sheer luck I made it home safe on only one braking tire in the rain. I was able to fix the chewed wires,but how can I prevent mice getting in my brake hubs again? I already replaced bad tire too.

ForumRunner_20121025_200555.png

ForumRunner_20121025_200515.png

ForumRunner_20121025_200448.png

ForumRunner_20121025_200339.png

Sent from my andriod using TractorByNet

/ Mice chewed brake wires #2  
I know mice can squeeze into small openings, but that's absurd. Usually the drums and backing plates fit together closely. Do yours have a large gap?

Ken

/ Mice chewed brake wires #3  
What's wrong with the tire? Looks good to me! There's air in it, right? So its good to go for a couple a thousand more miles!:eek:

Mice, yeah they're chewing their way into my barn and shop right now. Try mothballs and Bounce fabric sheets, and sealing all entry points into the drum backing plates. You could also try bait in the drums to kill them off.:2cents:

Or tie a cat to the axles?!:laughing:

/ Mice chewed brake wires
What's wrong with the tire? Looks good to me! There's air in it, right? So its good to go for a couple a thousand more miles!:eek:

Mice, yeah they're chewing their way into my barn and shop right now. Try mothballs and Bounce fabric sheets, and sealing all entry points into the drum backing plates. You could also try bait in the drums to kill them off.:2cents:

Or tie a cat to the axles?!:laughing:

tie a cat to axles?! :eek:

The largest opening I only can see is the space between drum and backing plate. it appears to be about half inch I think, but I still cant believe what I saw.

/ Mice chewed brake wires #5  
I have seen mice in the cylinders of a Briggs and Stratton Lawn Mower engine. They got in tough the exhaust system and then trough the valves. I have no idea how small the gap is on a open cylinder valve on a B&S lawn mower engine but its pretty darn small.

The only fix is a barn cat. I have tried everything else for years and this fix worked for me.

Chris

/ Mice chewed brake wires #6  
tie a cat to axles?! :eek:

The largest opening I only can see is the space between drum and backing plate. it appears to be about half inch I think, but I still cant believe what I saw.

Only fix is some barn cats. I have tired everything for years and nothing else works other then what Mother Nature supplied us with.

Chris

/ Mice chewed brake wires
too late to get a barn cat right now ---- too cold and no barn for them ...