midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #1  

BlackOps

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
what a day yesterday - my garden tractor belt drive for the blades stopped and broke somehow - not sure what that is about so i tried to hookup my midmower deck onto the tractor - which i have used maybe 5 times total - that is my backup. also it is too large to get itno most of the crowded areas. well tme come to use it - took hrs to get it on and the pto hookup was a ightmre to get connected. literally took hrs. and with arthritis - nightmare.tried to use it and the mower was frozen and would not cut and put a load on the tractor almost stalling it out. tried 3x and said - well get the mower off - now i cannot unhook that pto connection. so any clues about the frozen state of that mid mower deck? and also how the hell am i going to get the pto conection of the tractor. may have to have them trailer it into the shop 60 miles away and service and fix everything which will be another nightmare cost which presently would kill me due to major suregeries and more on the way and med bills that are like OUCH!.
thanks in advance.

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #2  
I put mine on/off every week or two. Here are a couple things I’ve found make it easier. Install/remove pto with the mower raised. Access the coupling from the back of the tractor. Should be able to grab the ring of the coupling with thumb and forefinger and slide straight towards front of the tractor no twisting. To make the install easier I drilled a hole in the coupling and use a pin to hold the collar back. Use the 3 pt arms to help get yourself up off the ground.🙂

should also chock the wheels before laying under the back of the tractor

1627041318806.jpeg

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor
thanks - my slip ring does not seem to go back as far as your or not easily even after grease and 1/2 a can of dw 40 - this even has pissed me off so badly plus my garden tractor piece of garbage. husqvara - a real mistake buying that one.

:))))

looks like maybe 2 people will have to take this off - one to slip the ring backward or forward depending on view and another to actually physically pull the mower forward to get the spline freed. sucks. mistake buying this one.

any thoughts on the actual frezzing of the mower re: just not working stalled out mower today when i tried.

do you think the splin is under pressue from trying and not working and removing the mower will cause the area to be under pressure and tear your fingers off?

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #4  
Something makes me think the frozen mower and stuck pto are related. I’ll take a look at the manual.
On my machine when you disengage the pto the spline spins freely so don’t think it should bind up the pto the mower to tractor splines.
But obviously somethings not right so I’d be careful to keep your fingers.

thanks trying to get a firned to find time to help me pull the mower forward if i can pull the pto slipring back to disengage the mower from the tractor. i have no clue about the splines. and any leftover tension - that is why i asked a dumb question. thank you!

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #6  
Being a really old guy myself, with various ailments of eyes and bones. I can sympathize with you BlackOps. Here's what works for me. With the wheels blocked, lay down at the rear under the 3 point...and slide yourself under the tractor.... have your reading glasses on because your nose is close to the work. Now you can get your hands on that connection to deal with it. Then slide yourself back out using the 3 point arms for leverage.

As to the MMM not turning, there must be something blocking the movement of the pulleys...blades...etc.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. I'm only a 135 lb little guy that can wiggle around somewhat. If you are a big guy....the above might not work for you.

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #7  
You know - I keep everything involved with the PTO stubs and shaft clean and properly lubricated. It can still be a real PITA.

Thank goodness - my only PTO implement is my Wally chipper.

The extendable lower arm ends have been a real help also.

/ midmower frozen and also pto attachment s stuck on tractor #8  
First you need to determine why?
Is the shaft frozen to the other shaft or are the locking balls frozen? The lock rings holds the balls in the groove. I have had more problems with the balls and ring than with the shaft.

Have you tried a good penetrant?
For future reference I keep my ptos coated with fluid film. Grease has failed me several times but fluid film never has

thanks i am working on it and may know more tomorrow when friedn comes by to help get it unengaged.

Last edited:
ok got it off rather easily this AM after 2 days of nightmare sitiations. still seems frozen but had other stuff to do - oiled the top of the belt wheels - after days of stors and rain i will try to lift it with the bucket and have a look see underneath and try to get the blades to move. then will have to let back down and try to remove covers and have a look see.

sh^t. my plans for this backup mower for large areas went kaput!