Mig welding thin steel

/ Mig welding thin steel #1  

mitchash

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra MAX 28XL, Jinma 254 (Sold)
I have a Hobart 210MVP that I really like! I’m rebuilding a vintage dirt bike muffler that is around 18 gauge steel. I have already cut it open and made the repairs. Now I’m in the process of welding everything back together. My problem is I keep burning through every once in awhile. I have made several adjustments with little luck. I was managing, doing short welds when I ran out of wire .023”. Anyone have any advice before I get back to it. I’m on voltage setting 2 and wire speed between 24-28. That seemed to work the best. What’s a good gas setting? I’m running around 20 cfh. The only thing I haven’t tried was plugging it into 120v outlet. Thanks

/ Mig welding thin steel #2  
If you will be doing a lot of thin gauge work in the future, invest in TIG. Or just keep on keeping on with what ur doing but try some aluminum heat sinks near the weld ( of course success will be limited when trying to close up a cylinder shaped object like a muffler).

/ Mig welding thin steel #3  
If you're holding the nozzle so it's pointing straight down into the weld, lean it to one side at least 45 degrees and try dragging short zaps. Having a wet rag handy to douse it with to keep the heat buildup in check helps too.

/ Mig welding thin steel #5  
If you push the nozzle vs drag, it wont burn through as easy.

/ Mig welding thin steel #6  
Short quick zaps instead of trying to run one long bead.

/ Mig welding thin steel
I do have a tig welder, it’s a multiprocess welder, plasma cutter. I tried using the tig on it awhile ago and didn’t have much luck. I need to take a welding course on it or something. I haven’t used a tig welder since the late 80s early 90s.

/ Mig welding thin steel
83D04BAB-CCCD-4248-BD0E-84772F72F7F5.jpeg

This is the first muffler I did, the one I’m doing now is the same thing.

Attachments

• 9F9A6795-5756-47FF-B053-3456800346F5.jpeg
    9F9A6795-5756-47FF-B053-3456800346F5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
   / Mig welding thin steel
You can always gas weld it.
I just have a really small torch set. It has the disposable bottles, oxygen and gas.