mile marker winch

/ mile marker winch #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
I was thinking about mounting a hydaulic winch on my tractor hooked in to the the FEL outlets in the front. Looking at the website it states that they operate at 1500 psi and 3.5 gpm. My system is 2500 and 11 gpm. Does anyone know if it will work reliable in this system?

/ mile marker winch #2  
flow shouldnt be an issue. if anything it will just spin faster.

pressure is another story... you may blow the seals out of it. but could easly plumb a pressure reducer inline to avoid that problem.

(gpm = spool rate, pressure = pulling force)

/ mile marker winch #3  
Call the company that makes them and tell them what you have and ask if it will work.

/ mile marker winch #4  
I could be wrong here but, Were'nt the MM winches designed to work off of the power steering pump? If so you could adapt a boneyard PS pump to your pto and power it from there.

/ mile marker winch #5  
You could even make an aux mount for a spare engine pump too. ( used ps pump is a great idea.. )

Soundguy

/ mile marker winch
Called MM and they said the units are limited to 1500 psi and 3.5 gpm and suggested installing a flow/pressure reducer in the line. Just dont know how to do that so will look at Warn that have winches good for 2500 psi and much higher flow rates. Like the idea of using the tractor hydraulics and plug into the quick disconnects in the front so I can operate the winch from the bottons on the joystick for the FEL

/ mile marker winch #7  
Would it be simpler to just go electric and run it off the battery? How much pulling power do hydraulic winches have? Are the hydraulic ones cheaper?

/ mile marker winch #8  
radman1 said:
Would it be simpler to just go electric and run it off the battery? How much pulling power do hydraulic winches have? Are the hydraulic ones cheaper?

I own one electric 2000lb Warn Winch, one electric 2500lb Warn winch, one electric 12,000lb Warn winch, one electric 8000lb Ramsey winch and one hydraulic Mile Marker 10,500lb winch.

The pulling power of the winch is determined in it's construction and has nothing to do with hydraulic or electric.

Hydraulic winches and electric winches are similarly priced.

Electric winches require a high output alternator and/or dual batteries if you are going to do long, hard, repeated pulls. They develop a lot of heat and use huge amounts of amperage draw during these pulls.

Hydraulic winches require the appropriate hydraulic pressure and flow rate. They will pull all day with little heat buildup or hydraulic stress on your tractor's system.

If you are creating a system to use for long pulls and repeated pulls I would suggest hydraulic. If you are creating a system for occassional pulls of moderate or short duration, go electric.

/ mile marker winch #9  
m7040 said:
Called MM and they said the units are limited to 1500 psi and 3.5 gpm and suggested installing a flow/pressure reducer in the line. Just dont know how to do that so will look at Warn that have winches good for 2500 psi and much higher flow rates. Like the idea of using the tractor hydraulics and plug into the quick disconnects in the front so I can operate the winch from the bottons on the joystick for the FEL

A auxiliary relief and orifice setup will get the psi and flow rate where you need it. etc..

Soundguy

/ mile marker winch #10  
ovrszd
Thanks for the info. Never seen a hydraulic winch in use. For a CUT it seems like the way to go. I have a 9000 lb ramsey electric on my trailer.