Miller CST 280 used opinion

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
Found a used Miller CST 280, the guy selling says he's going through a divorce and is asking $700, haven't seen it, but he claims very good condition with leads.

He also has a Miller Suitcase X-Treme 8VS for $700, supposedly with new guns and a bunch of wire. He says he wants to get rid of them and will give a killer deal for them both.

Any feedback on either of these machines?

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #2  
Happy, I assume you realize you will need a power source other than the CST 280 to run the suitcase feeder?

Terry

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #3  
I have a Suitcase 12vs (slightly bigger) unit, which is a beast. Unless it has been submerged or left out in the weather and gotten the feeder mechanism rusty, i would at least look at it. If he can't hook it up to something and show you it works, but in otherwise appears in good condition, I would offer $500 if it were me. If he can show you it functioning correctly then $700 is a reasonable price.

The CST 280 is a stick welder, which will also do tig, so you are looking for a stick welder it is good, especially at that price. Once again if he can't show you that it works, it is worth that and probably a few hundred more if he could show it working. This is assuming that it is in good to very good condition.

Good luck!

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion
Thanks guys, I was mainly interested in the stick/TIG machine, I don't have much use for the other unless it was that good a deal for them both and what he had for accessories/spools of wire.

My current stick machine is a Lincoln 225AC/125DC.

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #5  
Did you buy it Happy??

Terry

Did you buy it Happy?? Terry

Went and looked at it, couldn't test it, the whole situation with the seller and story seemed kinda shady. That's Craig's List for ya, passed on it

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #7  
Smart move. Terry

Last edited:
   / Miller CST 280 used opinion #8  
Wise move. I have been taken before (only once thank goodness) on buying something on Craigslist that hadn't been tested, and even though I offered a small amount for it, it was a somewhat expensive door stop as cost to repair exceeded it's worth. Smart move on my part I thought "What could be wrong with it that could cost much to fix?" Uh huh, everything inside the case was fried, and I have no doubt that the seller knew it...

And it could have been stolen also...

Wise move. I have been taken before (only once thank goodness) on buying something on Craigslist that hadn't been tested, and even though I offered a small amount for it, it was a somewhat expensive door stop as cost to repair exceeded it's worth. Smart move on my part I thought "What could be wrong with it that could cost much to fix?" Uh huh, everything inside the case was fried, and I have no doubt that the seller knew it... And it could have been stolen also...

He knew little to nothing about the welder, supposedly belonged to a buddy who moved to Kansas and told him he could sell it and keep 1/2. Allegedly had 2 others he already sold. The story wasn't all that believable. I'm all set with buying something of questionable origin that might be stolen, regardless of whether it's a good deal or not.

/ Miller CST 280 used opinion #10  
Wise move. I have been taken before (only once thank goodness) on buying something on Craigslist that hadn't been tested, and even though I offered a small amount for it, it was a somewhat expensive door stop as cost to repair exceeded it's worth. Smart move on my part I thought "What could be wrong with it that could cost much to fix?" Uh huh, everything inside the case was fried, and I have no doubt that the seller knew it... And it could have been stolen also...

Thomas, fortunately for me I MIGHT have avoided a costly mistake. Here is the reply from a Miller Tech I received last year when considering a used Optima Pulser on eBay:

Used Miller Optima Pulser
Terry, If the unit needs repair, it will most likely be the pc card in the unit. You would need to weigh the money to spend on a replacement board vs a new unit and if one is worth it more to you or not. The part would have a 90 day warranty from Parts, the new complete unit would have a 3 year warranty, so a significant difference. new unit = $1690 pc card = $690.89 Best Regards, ISG Service Miller Electric Mfg. Co. An ITW Welding Company Industrial Systems Group N676 Communication Dr., Appleton, WI 54914-8591 Phone: 920.954.3809 MillerWelds.com