Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes?

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #1  

btarb24

Tractor
Kubota U17
I just bought a house with a 600' long gravel driveway near Albany, NY. I'm looking for a used tractor that will be utilized for snowblowing, general loader use, and a box blade for the driveway maintenance. It's seeming like even a glorified lawn tractor would handle the snow blowing and probably our loader use. Though, i'm having a tough time determining how much tractor hp/weight would be needed for handling the box blade. There is a single hill that is roughly a 10° grade which may increase the size needs? The former owner had a new holland TC33, though i'm questioning if one that large is truly necessary for the tasks at hand.

Anyone have any tips on how to size a tractor for a box blade? I'm not too concerned about blade width/passes, biggest concern is simply being able to pull the rippers without losing traction. Just arbitrarily picking a brand here, but would the kubota bx subCompact line be capable or would the compact B line be necessary?

Here's an aerial, though not sure it has much bearing, but i suppose it makes the post more fun?

Attachments

• FEbbeKi[1].png
    FEbbeKi[1].png
    2.1 MB · Views: 257
   / Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #2  
Using the rippers probably drives you into 35 hp diesel arena, or more. I've got a 32 hp Kubota which moves gravel just fine with a 5' box, but with the rippers, I can only allow 2 of them into the soil at a time, and have to use 4 wheel drive.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #3  
As long as you size the box blade for the appropriate size of the tractor, it will work. So a subcompact with a 4' box blade would be fine. Same goes for a blower. As long as you size it with respect to the tractor size/hp you bought, you will be fine.

I'm more curious as to what kind of "loader work" you're looking at? Loader specs may drive the size you need.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #4  
Have you entertained any thought of an asphalt driveway? My gravel driveway is now asphalt. I'm guessing the asphalt is about a thousand feet. I split the cost with my neighbor. Yes, I still have a tractor but it's not dedicated to driveway maintenance.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #5  
As long as you size the box blade for the appropriate size of the tractor, it will work. So a subcompact with a 4' box blade would be fine. Same goes for a blower. As long as you size it with respect to the tractor size/hp you bought, you will be fine.

I'm more curious as to what kind of "loader work" you're looking at? Loader specs may drive the size you need.
25 hp typically use 4 ft box blade, tiller and opportunity for mid mount mower. Most compact Tractors include front loaders. I am running LS MT225S with all noted options used it for landscaping and mowing very hearty tractor. 1 year later with 164 hours it has moved 75 tons dirt mowed my yard 3 acres over 30 weeks plus. Moved snow in winter started every time. Anything below 25 hp is without tier 4 emissions. Most people prefer simple tractor without overladen computer control with numerous EPA required sensors. Best of luck and have fun finding many uses for the tractor.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #6  
How much snow do you get there at one time? I’d probably be more worried about clearing snow and not taking all day. A BX in theory could perform your task but I think you’ll be disappointed if you don’t get something bigger.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #7  
The other thought. A larger tractor with larger implements will do the job faster. I have a mile long gravel driveway. Straight as an arrow - only one valley.

Been out here 40+ years - had two tractors. Brand new 1982 Ford 1700 4WD and now brand new 2009 Kubota M6040 4WD.

I clear my driveway snow more than 2X faster with the Kubota. Wider blade, heavier tractor, no slipping/sliding, with offset and angled rear blade the Kubota blades snow far enough off the driving surface that berms are no concern. I had to drop the rear blade - instal a rear blower and clear the berms when I had the Ford.

The Kubota/rear blade combination is heavy enough to keep the berms off the driving surface - in subsequent plowings.

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #8  
If you have a Yanmar dealer near check out this
tractor, I have one so easy; to work and all controls
are at your finger tips:

willy

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #9  
Have you entertained any thought of an asphalt driveway? My gravel driveway is now asphalt. I'm guessing the asphalt is about a thousand feet. I split the cost with my neighbor. Yes, I still have a tractor but it's not dedicated to driveway maintenance.
A satisfactory asphalt driveway in the Albany, NY. climate, should have 2 lifts of placed asphalt with at least 1' of well drained base material,..... plus no heavy (oil?) truck traffic March 1st to May 15th, due to frost issues.
EXPENSIVE driveway !!!!

/ Min tractor size for repairing long gravel driveway with potholes? #10  
I can't answer to the snow removal task, as we don't get more than a few inches a year, but with the grading and loader work to be done, the most important thing to consider is the weight and physical size of the tractor rather than horsepower. Most any tractor has power enough to drag an implement around, but you need to get traction to get much done. As a kid, we had an old B model John Deere with maybe 16 or 18 HP that did all our farm chores for many years. It's weight is what got the job done, albeit quite slowly. Now that I'm retired, slow is kinda cool. More seat time...Dan