Missouri River snowpack anticipation

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I spoke with my folks today who reside on the Missouri River in central SD who said the corps of engineers had drained the lake in anticipation of the snow-pack in Montana. Said it was the lowest they'd ever seen the lake drained. (I believe its Lake Francis Case, everyone simply calla it the river) Sorry but no photos for me to post!

OK, I did find a few taken this fall.

Attachments

• P1090407.jpg
    P1090407.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 140
  • P1090402.jpg
    P1090402.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
   / Missouri River snowpack anticipation #2  
I read somewhere today, that the Spring Flooding should be overall less this year than the last. But that North/South Dakota and Minnesota might still have some flooding.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation
I read somewhere that the snow-pack was quite good in MT and it takes some time, in terms of months for it to come down the Missouri. So the COR is draining the dams in anticipation of that. We reside on lake Superior which is near record full.

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation #4  
Here in northern illinois the rivers are border line flooding due the ground still being saturated from last fall and some rain. Not sure if the Dakotas dried over winter.

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation #5  
Our snowfall was way below normal this year. And the Missouri thawed and opened early as well. If there is a flooding danger, it will come from the upper snow/watershed above and west of us. I think we're in good shape for this year, so at least as far as our holding capacity goes, we shouldn't be compounding the issue downstream from us.

Good luck everybody.

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation
Our snowfall was way below normal this year. And the Missouri thawed and opened early as well. If there is a flooding danger, it will come from the upper snow/watershed above and west of us. I think we're in good shape for this year, so at least as far as our holding capacity goes, we shouldn't be compounding the issue downstream from us.

Good luck everybody.

Did the core lower the lake/river up there??

/ Missouri River snowpack anticipation #7  
I haven't seen it yet. But the surface of Audubon was still frozen solid last time I went across on 83. I think Sakakawea had some open water in it, but wasn't fully open yet at that time. It may be open now though.

The levels seemed normal at the time.