Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter

/ Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter #1  

dougtrr2

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX24
Is there any harm in mixing ISO 32 (10W) and ISO 46 (20W) fluid in a logsplitter?

I have a logsplitter I purchased from TSC over 20 years ago. I do not have the manuals for it and even the model number is missing in action. I changed the filter every few years. I just put a new filter on and realized I was low on fluid. I purchased 2 gallons of ISO 32 fluid (10W) and put it all in. I put it in while it was hot after use and I am well over the half way point on the recommended level on the dipstick. I did make the mistake years ago of topping off the fluid while it was cold. Once it heated up, it was spitting out the vent tube. Today I realized that the last time I put fluid in I used ISO 46 (20W).

Doug in SW IA

/ Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter #2  
Others may get technical and mention different brands, and incompatibility, and types of hydraulic fluids.....

But in general.....NO it wont hurt to mix viscosities. But it would be nice to know what viscosity is spec'd for the splitter. But mixing 10w and 20w oil....basically you now have 15w. Thicker than the ISO32 but a little thinner than the ISO46.

On my splitter, or any other simple hydraulic stuff like a shop press for example, I give little regard to what viscosity oil is in there or what I am adding beyond what the temperature is I am gonna be running it at. similar to your cars recommended oil viscosity.....and there is usually a chart that is largely dependent on ambient temp...... IF I am gonna be running something predominantly when it is in the heat of the summer, I''' opt for heavier oil, conversely if I plan on operating predominantly in the winter....I'll go thinner

/ Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter #3  
My DURR splitter (maybe 30 years old) probably made by MDT (lot of interchangeable MDT part numbers) uses Dexron II (auto trans) fluid.... Seems Dexron II is no longer available, so went with Dexron III.... Probably any 10w (ISO 32) auto trans (non detergent) fluid would be ok...

/ Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter
Thanks for the input. I thought it should be okay so I won't worry about it. The fact that no one had a reason why it is bad is pretty significant.

Doug in SW IA

/ Mixing Hydraulic Oils in Log Splitter #5  
If it's a tractor driven unit and I assume its NOT. It will be fine with that fluid or a combo.

The only issue would be if it WAS a tractor driven unit and you had wet clutches or brakes in the tractor. But since you talk about a fluid level then I would assume it's not sharing the same fluid as the tractor.