Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ?

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #1  

Pamlico Pintail

Tractor
Massey Ferguson
Recently busted a hose or 2 on mf. Added 2 .5 gallons permatran 821xl and not seeing fluid in sight glass. Closest mf dealer close to an hr drive. Is there any options that could be added/ the same with a differnt label. Or do I need to make trip to dealer. Thanks

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #2  
The level may be above the sight glass. If the trans fluid is clear it can be hard to tell the difference between sight glass totally covered and no oil in the glass. You can try parking the tractor on a slight down hill or carefully jacking up the back (remember the front axle pivots) to see if you can find the top of the level. Or you can get the trans fluid dye that Deere makes specifically for this problem.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #3  
As long as it meets the specs you can use something else to top it off. I have a 5 gallon jug of something that I picked up at TSC, forget exactly what I got and can't look right now. Just read the label and make sure it says that it meets or exceeds what is called for.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #4  
You can probably order the correct fluid or the John Deere dye on line. I got the dye. I think mine had dried up in the jar. I did get it into the transmission and learned a little goes a long way for coloring. I can now easily see the fluid in the sight gauge.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #5  
   / Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #6  
As long as it meets the specs you can use something else to top it off. I have a 5 gallon jug of something that I picked up at TSC, forget exactly what I got and can't look right now. Just read the label and make sure it says that it meets or exceeds what is called for.
There is no test standards in hydraulic oil like engine oil. The manufacturer of the tractor tells the oil company what specs it needs to meet. So a 3rd party can come close but theres no one testing.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #7  
There is no test standards in hydraulic oil like engine oil. The manufacturer of the tractor tells the oil company what specs it needs to meet. So a 3rd party can come close but theres no one testing.
This is EXACTLY why I choose to use ONLY ....SUDT-2, even though my Kubota L48 TLB is well out of warranty.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #8  
I should have said "equivalent". I picked up some stuff from TSC to have on hand while I waited for the dealer to get me the correct fluid. I needed to add about half a quart. I generally only use what it says in the OM, but when you need to use the tractor, adding a little of something else is not going to break anything.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #9  
Maybe a year or so ago I commented to Project Farm that a good review would be various tractor fluids such as Travellers Premium, Hy-Gard, HyTran etc. he thanked me for the suggestion but no such video as of now.

/ Mixing tans/hydraulic fluids ? #10  
You can compare data sheets for the recommended oils and the oil you wish to use.