Mowing MMM painting

/ MMM painting #1  

rkidd

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650
I have mowed with my B2650 and mmm for 3yrs, and has been great. I have tried alot of things over the years to protect the bottom of a mower deck and have never found a miracle coating. The deck came painted, and the bottom has held up pretty good for 3yrs. I do keep it clean throughout the mowing season also to keep it in good shape. I decided to just repaint the bottom seeing how it lasted good for 3 mowing seasons. I took my 4 1/2'" grinder with wire brush and prepped it. I am going to prime it and then paint both with a brush. My question is for those that know more about paint then I do, to recommend a paint that would work good for this application. The ones I am thinking about are regular Kubota paint, my farm store has a Valspar farm and implement paint, or I painted something a while back with Rustoleum and was surprised how thick the paint was, but dont know how well it would hold up for this application. I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject. Thanks.

/ MMM painting #2  
I cleaned, wire brushed, abrasive wheeled and licked clean a well worn, but straight, 6' Kubota loader LA 723 bucket. I sprayed an epoxy metal primer, and let me tell you, even when the Kubota factory spray paint on top had worn thru, that gray primer held up. I'm talking gravel, firewood, dirt- abrasive stuff, certainly as bad as weeds, twigs and grass being hurled at it. A top coat will wear off, but the primer, not so much! I doubt if thicker is much better than harder.

P1010519.jpgP1010498.JPG

/ MMM painting #3  
3 years is pretty good for an under deck finish. It isn't a happy place to hold paint. Sounds like a testament to the Kubota powder coat. I've read somewhere, maybe here about people having the decks dipped /galvanized. I've tried epoxy, grease paint, enamels and never made it more than a few months. With all the abrasives, it's like a sand blaster under there. I'll be watching this thread for sure.

/ MMM painting #4  
I've been thinking of trying some truck bed lining on my MMM.

/ MMM painting #5  

I think it'll hold up good but I think the grass will stick to it more. Maybe wrong IDK.

/ MMM painting #6  
If you clean and throw some paint on it every 2-3 years it will likely outlast the rest of the mower deck. I wouldn't get too hung up on exotic coatings unless you are in a corrosive environment like lots of fertilizer or near salt water.

/ MMM painting
I havent got any advice to steer me one way or the other, so I think I am going to use Valspar tractor and implement that should match up with the Valspar red oxide primer I used. One other question, do you have to sand the primer before you apply the paint or can you just paint over it?

/ MMM painting #9  
You can just paint over it. Sanding might yield better results but it's the bottom of a mower deck so who cares?

/ MMM painting #10  

What eventually happens with the bed lining is that it shrinks and pulls from the deck into the blades.