Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter?

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
There is a 5 foot Modern Ag rotary cutter for sale locally.
Ok so I have been able to find out more. It is the competitor model.
Looks pretty heavy duty.
They are asking $1200. Looks to be in good shape. Can't really get a bead on whether this is an ok price. Doesn't seem too bad overall.

Opinions?

Last edited:
   / Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #2  
Very strange... You have to share information with them just to access their website? Sounds a little shady.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter?
I found once you decipher the top selections you can get more info. But it is a bit weird.
Trying to find out what new ones cost.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #4  
Very strange... You have to share information with them just to access their website? Sounds a little shady.
If you go to the menus at the top of the login page there is lots of information, even some pricing.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #5  
Bumping this thread because I am about to pull the trigger on a 6' Competitor RC from Modern Ag. $2500 with Slip Clutch.

Anyone have any experience with them? I know they are made down by Beaumont or Galveston, iirc. Galvanized.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #6  
One of the guys that works for me bought a used one the end of last year. The deck was cracking around the gearbox, but he welded it up and has not had any issues other than finding an old box spring in the grass. :ROFLMAO: I hate to laugh at him but he pulled it out of his burn pile and forgot it was there.

I think he gave $800 or so for the mower.
70516305274__E3B72996-2C33-4C1A-84A7-AFC3BEA88740.jpeg

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #7  
They are made in Texas. My dealer sells them as their value line. They are galvanized which is cool, but the gear boxes are small compared to a rhino.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #8  
They are made in Texas. My dealer sells them as their value line. They are galvanized which is cool, but the gear boxes are small compared to a rhino.
I'm not sure if heavier gearbox makes a big difference if your tractor PTO HP is lower than the rating.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #9  
I’ve got the competitor model and no problems other than breaking a couple shear bolts. Really thinking about going with a flail mower soon.

/ Modern Ag 5 Foot Rotary Cutter? #10  
I’ve got the competitor model and no problems other than breaking a couple shear bolts. Really thinking about going with a flail mower soon.
Thanks for the info. I'm going with the slip clutch. There is nowhere that I need a nicer finish than rough cut. Fails are nice, but more money and not the best fit for my uses.