Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere??

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #1  

CADplans

Elite Member
Tractor
584 IH 4WD
We have had several power outages in the last 6 months,,
rather than running the generator, I purchased a 750 watt modified sine wave inverter,,

That thing has been great,, our power needs are not great during outages,,
a few lights, the laptops, phone chargers, etc,,,

BUT,, I have never tried powering much else, after having another outage last night,, i began wondering,,
what else could I power with the inverter??

Could I power the TV and Dish Network box,, ?? we kinda missed TV last night,,:confused2:

Is there a list somewhere that details what the modified sine inverter can operate??

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #2  
My understanding of them is maybe, some devices are ok and others are not but depends upon the individual device due to the 'shape' of the sine output.
I know some laptops do not like them but you seem to be alright, also is 750w a peak or continual figure, some manufacturers like to quote unrealistic figures.

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #3  
I have a few inverters, all of them the cheaper modified sine wave models. My laptop will run like a champ on one of them but act like a crack addict on the others. Like bunyip said some are rated a wee bit high.
When my wife and I helped run the fishing tournaments for the highschool we ran the PA system and aerators off from one with no problem.
I have found that you just have to try the combination to see if it works. The one that works my laptop great is not compatible with a small tv I have.

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere??
So far, everything I have run with the inverter has a step down transformer that also outputs DC,,
so, that has been my usage, other than LED lights,,,

I hate to blow up a TV "testing" ,,,,

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #5  
Run sensitive electronics though a UPS which will smooth the signal and you will be fine. TV, computer, entertainment center. I run my whole house from a harbor freight generator run from my tractor PTO. I have a couple of TV's, entertainment center, cpap, cell booster all on UPS to ensure they keep running without issue from dirty power

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #6  
“Sensitive” electronics isn’t what it used to be. The “typical” power supply on a tv or computer will take about anything from about 100-250v volts and 50-60htz. The old school concerns are largely a thing of the past. Do you have something specific you are trying to power or is this just general concern? Check the specs on the back of the products you want to use- they should be listed on them.

Do you have something specific you are trying to power or is this just general concern?

Check the specs on the back of the products you want to use- they should be listed on them.

The two main items are the flat screen Sony TV, and the Dish Network receiver,,

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #8  
Almost all electronics now use switching power supplies. To make them cheaper and more energy efficient, they have done away with large transformers. I would say that whether a switching supply works on modified sine, is a matter of how it was designed. It would be a crap shoot. Some makers like DELL, apparently claim, shortened life. What the $%$% is that supposed to mean?

As far as putting a UPS behind the inverter. That might not make a lot of sense. A UPS IS an inverter. Why not just get a Pure Sine inverter?

As far as putting a UPS behind the inverter. That might not make a lot of sense. A UPS IS an inverter.

Why not just get a Pure Sine inverter?

The only pure sine inverters I have found are REALLY price prohibitive,,, and all from China,,:confused:

Maybe I have been looking for the wrong thing? :confused2:

Is there a reasonable priced pure sine wave inverter??

/ Modified Sine Wave Inverter,, Is There A List Somewhere?? #10  
I guess that depends on your idea of reasonable.

I am not a BIG inverter fan. I don't trust them. My friend got up at 4 this morning and drove 6 hours to replace a high end name brand inverter in a commercial mobile application. It was three months old!