Monta Mower, The Vintage Version

/ Monta Mower, The Vintage Version #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
3ef7293196896a6e0c6198cd4e5a0baf.jpg

The Montamower was patented in 1923, and that may have been the first year of actual production. The mower was sold by the Montamower Sales Co. of Grand Rapids, Mich., from 1923 until about 1962.

According to 1920 vintage magazine ads, the mower sold for $15 directly from the manufacturer.

By the 1940s, the name of the mower was spelled MontaMower, and the manufacturer was known as Montamower Distributing Co.

The mower weighed less than 10 pounds and used a series of disc blades to cut grass and trim edges at the same time. That's why the mower was advertised as 'Two Tools in One'.

‘Montamower’ is Artifact of the Month | News | kenoshanews.com

Then, in about 1923, a new entrant joined the market. A disc mower, the MontaMower had a series of nine pairs of disc blades, with nine cutting teeth on each disc. Each pair of discs was on top of the other. As they rotated toward each other, they cut the grass. The pairs of blades were attached in a line across the front of the mower. This was a new concept in cutting grass. To my knowledge, the MontaMower was the only mower of any kind to use it.

The discs, being small, were low to the ground when working, thus cutting the grass short. The discs were arrayed across the entire face of the mower, cutting edge to edge, which meant that as you cut, you also trimmed. The MontaMower was advertised as being 鍍wo tools in one, a mower and a trimmer.

It cut a 16-inch swath, and because it was very low to the ground, just 2-1/2 inches high, it could cut the grass under most bushes. The blades were ground-driven, as the mower was pushed, by wheels designed almost like gears. They were thin, small-diameter and had teeth. As the wheels rotated while traveling, they turned the blades to cut the grass.

montamower-head-jpg.jpg

A Cut Above: The MontaMower - Equipment - Farm Collector