Moving Cross Country - Questions

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8n, saving up for a new Kubota or Yanmar
I accepted a three-year long job opportunity and will be moving cross country from Virginia to New Mexico. We’ll be renting out our eight acre horse property in Virginia and moving into a subdivision home in New Mexico. I noticed there’s no grass in New Mexico, so the question arises of what to do with my two-year-old John Deere X590 with 110hrs. Sell it, leave it for my renters, or bring it with me to New Mexico and store it for three years until we move back? Would it be a liability to let renters use it?

Also, I bought a new 14ft PJ utility trailer earlier this year and will be towing it cross country. Do I need to do anything special to it before the long trip? It only has a couple hundred miles on it since new.

Thanks!

coobie

Tractor
Kubota RTV 1100c, JD 740,Kioti DK 40 with KL401 loader .
Take 2 spare tires just in case.IMHO I would keep the JDX590.Never leave anything nice for renters to tear up.

Redlands Okie

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
The tractor is very likely to not be in the condition you left it when you return. The frustration and expense of repairing it can add up fast. Take it with you, put a battery maintenance charger, do wha you can to keep it out of the weather. The cost to move and perhaps store it will be worth it I suspect.
And yes their is liability when others use it.

Slowpoke Slim

Veteran Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
Depending on what part of NM you're moving to, you may want the Deere and a blade for snow removal. I wouldn't leave it behind. Take it with you. On the trailer, make sure the tires are good, and aired up, and bring a spare.

Gem99ultra

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400HST
I don't think reality has set in... it's a lawn mower! Yeah, I know, its and expensive and well made mower, but nonetheless, a lawn mower.

My guess is that putting it in mothballs for 3 years would not be good. I'm thinking I'd sell it and buy a new one if/when you move back to Virginia. Besides, that would also mean that you don't have to haul it halfway across the US.

Hopefully I'm not too brutal with my comment.

HillStreet

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650HST. Kubota Z125S
I don't think reality has set in... it's a lawn mower! Yeah, I know, its and expensive and well made mower, but nonetheless, a lawn mower.

My guess is that putting it in mothballs for 3 years would not be good. I'm thinking I'd sell it and buy a new one if/when you move back to Virginia. Besides, that would also mean that you don't have to haul it halfway across the US.

Hopefully I'm not too brutal with my comment.

Not a brutal comment. Sell it, put it behind you. Moving across the street costs you a lot of money.

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I accepted a three-year long job opportunity and will be moving cross country from Virginia to New Mexico. We’ll be renting out our eight acre horse property in Virginia and moving into a subdivision home in New Mexico. I noticed there’s no grass in New Mexico, so the question arises of what to do with my two-year-old John Deere X590 with 110hrs. Sell it, leave it for my renters, or bring it with me to New Mexico and store it for three years until we move back? Would it be a liability to let renters use it?

Also, I bought a new 14ft PJ utility trailer earlier this year and will be towing it cross country. Do I need to do anything special to it before the long trip? It only has a couple hundred miles on it since new.

Thanks!

DO NOT leave the JD for the renters to wreck!
Do not take it with you!
Sell it before you move!
Buy a new mower when you come back!

Jchonline

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M62, M7060, X1100C
I would also sell it. Less to worry about in 3 years...who knows where you will be.

joeu235

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4020 / 6403 / 317 Ford 5600
Letting equipment sit for 3 years is not optimal. I recommend selling.

****, at a list price of $8100, that must be one **** of a lawn mower.

Ortimber

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere
If you take it with you, the dry NM climate will keep it from deteriorating too bad, as long as the sun stays off of it and rodents don’t chew on it.