Moving the "burn" pile

/ Moving the "burn" pile #1  

WhirldWorks

Tractor
Massey Ferguson MF205
When we purchased our land there was an old burn pile that was pretty well consumed. We decided it was a pretty safe spot so over the following months we started it anew. As time passed we decided the place to build a house was pretty close to this pile, but surely the pile would be gone before we started building...HA!

Because of the drought and burn bans we have been unable to torch the sucker and now it looks like we are about two to three weeks away from the start of construction. So now it looks like we are going to have to move this behemoth safely away from the building site. Looks like the first real job for our "new to us" little tractor. I know only a few folks that live near us, but hopefully I can get a small crew together and make quicker work of this thing.

Definitely NOT one of the projects on my list :cool:

/ Moving the "burn" pile #2  
Bummer but a fun tractor job. The other option is to have the contractor move it when they clear for the house build.

/ Moving the "burn" pile
Yeah, my wife said the same thing, but except for the burn pile there isn't much else to clear (it's a pretty open spot). I'm going to talk with the contractor this week and see how much cost is associated with that option. As with everything else I am trying to keep costs down.

/ Moving the "burn" pile #4  
You might need a grapple!!!! 20150531_125723.jpg

/ Moving the "burn" pile #5  
You may want to try a good set of forks, a little each day and you're done. Besides, it's good seat time.
Good luck!

/ Moving the "burn" pile #6  
My son and I moved ours this spring. What a pain in the butt. We were picking nails, glass, metal fragments, etc, etc,... for a week.

/ Moving the "burn" pile #7  
You will be amazed at how big a pile a small tractor can move when you get forks or bucket in the pile. Hopefully you can just push it and not have to carry it far..

/ Moving the "burn" pile #8  
I had a similiar problem two years back with a burn pile the size of a one story 1200 sq. ft. House with thousands of Pecan limbs from a storm where we had to clean up the orchard. Really needed to move the pile to construct a new barn and tried to think up different ideas. Finally had my brother from next door and the neighbor down the road bring their tractors over and we used all three of our tractors with FEL's attached and pushed the pile all at one time in low gear. It moved as a whole unit and 15 minutes later we had it 200 feet over in its new location. It was amazing to see this huge pile slide along in one unit as smooth as glass over the grass without a hitch. Two 50 hp and my 75 hp tractor. Quite the sight!

/ Moving the "burn" pile #9  
I had a similiar problem two years back with a burn pile the size of a one story 1200 sq. ft. House with thousands of Pecan limbs from a storm where we had to clean up the orchard. Really needed to move the pile to construct a new barn and tried to think up different ideas. Finally had my brother from next door and the neighbor down the road bring their tractors over and we used all three of our tractors with FEL's attached and pushed the pile all at one time in low gear. It moved as a whole unit and 15 minutes later we had it 200 feet over in its new location. It was amazing to see this huge pile slide along in one unit as smooth as glass over the grass without a hitch. Two 50 hp and my 75 hp tractor. Quite the sight!

Yep, I have moved a huge one, with "old Blue" years ago with my old Long 2360. It was a utility tractor, so a pretty fair sized tractor, but the brush pile was huge, and it moved really slick on flat grass land.