Moving up - L3240 or L3940

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #1  

RTII

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL 3940, Kubota M5 111
Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted but now once again would like opinions and experiences to help with a decision on which model to go with. At the moment I have a BX2660 with attachments (as per my sig line) which was exactly the right tractor for the need to work my original 4 acres around the house. I've since purchased another 10 acres and have decided a tractor upgrade would make my life easier as the BX just doesn't have the capacity for me to maintain 14 acres efficiently. It'll get most of the jobs done but I'd like to cut some time off of most of the work.

The new tractor would be used mainly to bush hog, move brush and downed trees, landscaping, etc.

The implements I'm looking to add would be FEL with quick attach bucket, qa grapple, 5 or 6 foot shredder, possibly a box blade.

So to the questions:

1. I'm leaning toward the smaller 3240 as I've been amazed at what the bx can do with the horspower it's got. It's taught me that max horsepower, while nice, may not be required. This would save me some money that could be put towards the implements. I've seen other threads where the concensous was to get the heavy FEL and loader. Would the smaller tractor have any problems using this set up to it's fullest capacity?
  2. What's the practical difference between the round back and square back buckets?
  3. Are there any "issues" with either of these tractors I should be aware of going in?
    1. Shredder size 5' or 6'?
  4. This one is probably the most subjective but do you think these tractor choices are a good fit for my purposes?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #2  
I had a L3130(replaced by the L3240),very nice all a round tractor;they are a 3cylinder diesel.The L3940 is a four cylinder and larger framed tractor,but the sweet spot in the lineup IMHO.In between the L3540(same frame as L3240 and a three cylinder).I purchased a L4240 for the larger 854 loader.If you are not going to add a back-hoe..the L3240 will do everything you need.Stick with the five ft.shedder,I don't know the difference in price on the buckets but would recommend the HD round-back and the larger loader.Have the rear tires filled.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940
Thanks birdman,

Good thought on filling the rear tires. I'll do it. Does the round back bucket have more capacity than the square back? Would the 72" bucket be a good fit for the tractor or would the 66" be more appropriate? Can anyone tell me what the 4in1 bucket refers to?

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #4  
Well I always believe that the best route is to buy the max HP in the size of tractor you like. I also think that it is poor economy to not get the toughest loader you can get too. A little ballast and you will be amazed how much more capable the bigger loader is.:D

Well I always believe that the best route is to buy the max HP in the size of tractor you like. I also think that it is poor economy to not get the toughest loader you can get too. A little ballast and you will be amazed how much more capable the bigger loader is.:D

My general thoughts as well. I don't think I would regret going with the bigger tractor but trying to balance need and budget makes me lean towards the 3240. That 3940 sure is a fine tractor though!

As a thought, any reason other than size of cut I couldn't keep my 48" shredder and used it behind one of these tractors. Maybe try it out for a while and see if it works for me. Lots of trees to mow around and maybe the smaller shredder would have an advantage?

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #7  
As a thought, any reason other than size of cut I couldn't keep my 48" shredder and used it behind one of these tractors. Maybe try it out for a while and see if it works for me. Lots of trees to mow around and maybe the smaller shredder would have an advantage?

Sure, you can do it, but I have a 48" cutter for my BX2660 and there is no way I would use it on anything above a B Series.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #9  
Because.....??

Because I would bend the snot out of it.:eek:

I see no reason to get a bigger tractor to run the same size equipment, but that's just me.

I run a 4' on our BX, 6' on the 5030 and 10' on the 8540.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #10  
I used a five ft.shedder on my L3130 and it was a good fit,also use it on my L4240..I could use a six ft. but until this one breaks beyond repair I will continue to use it.The four won't cover your tracks (with a L3240) but would be useable I would think.
I never used a 4n1 bucket but it would require a third function on the front to work.They can open to grasp/scrape ect.A grapple or a thumb on the bucket would also require a third function.For my use I added a thumb to my bucket and a tooth-bar,works for me.