Mower Deck Parts

/ Mower Deck Parts #1  

cthusker

Tractor
BX25
I have a John Deere 1989 Model 180 With 46" Mower and Engine (Serial.No. M00180B608218*) with B-Configuration Code (180 W/46" Mower). Believe that's a 1998 build and it still runs perfect. However my mower deck is starting to growl and doesn't sound good. Checked the spindles and there is bearing play in 2 of the spindle shafts. I'm sure that's why it doesn't sound smooth anymore! Bottom line I'd like to replace the bearings which I know how to do. However I need to find the part number for the bearings and make sure I can buy them before tearing the mower down. Does anyone know where I can get the correct information? I've looked on the net for hours but can't find what the part #'s are for those bearing used for the spindles. Any help would be most appreciated as it's only going to get worse.

/ Mower Deck Parts #2  
With that vintage machine, you most likely will not find anything on the internet.

Take it apart, find the bearing part number on of bearings and just get some new ones.

Richard

/ Mower Deck Parts #3  

Attachments

• JD 180 spindle.jpg
    JD 180 spindle.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 76
   / Mower Deck Parts
Replace the bearings with the JD part # JD9296, under $10 at dealer

Or a packet of 6 for $30 on Amazon.. may not be JD.

Or follow Richard001 and match the ones you need.

Get part #'s from jd parts
Thanks... I'll order a couple and see if they work. Heck for under 20 bucks it's worth trying a set on one of the spindles. Thanks again

/ Mower Deck Parts #5  
As beenthere already said they are p/n JD9296. Your local Deere dealer can also give you aftermarket alternate part numbers. And also as he said you can find Deere OEM part numbers here:

It's basically the same system the Deere dealers use. Even though Deere costs more that's the one good thing about them -- you can still get parts for the "old" stuff. Once you have the Deere part number you can cross it with aftermarket if you want to go that way.

/ Mower Deck Parts
Got my 6 new bearings that match up with JD9296. Install them next week and I'll let folks know how the project went. Thanks to the folks that got me pointed in the right direction to get those bearings.

/ Mower Deck Parts
Got the bearing removed the blades, etc and WTH is this? Sure doesn't look like all the pictures and videos I've seen. So right now stumped in how to take the spindle apart. Frustrated because it should have been an easy job but it sure doesn't look like it. I wonder if on this model mower only way to fix the bearings is replace the entire spindles and pully's... oh well nothing ever simple.
mower1.jpg
mower2.jpg
mower3.jpg

/ Mower Deck Parts #8  
Last edited:
   / Mower Deck Parts #9  
I'm not sure, but it appears that the spindles can be removed from the top of the deck. You need to get that belt off and then remove the bolts hold the spindles to the deck.

Then you can take the spindle to your work bench and get the pulley off.

Richard

/ Mower Deck Parts
I'm not sure, but it appears that the spindles can be removed from the top of the deck. You need to get that belt off and then remove the bolts hold the spindles to the deck.

Then you can take the spindle to your work bench and get the pulley off.

Richard
Yep... have to remove the spindles and use a hub puller for the pullies! The pullies are keyed to the shafts as opposed to the newer method. Turns a simple job into a real pita to install new bearings but unless I replace the entire spindles there's no way of doing it! Grrrrr Don''t even know if the newer spindles would work and finding some 35 years old is probably not going to happen. Oh well that's what I get for having a machine 35 years old.... lol