Mowing Mower noise, BX with 60"

/ Mower noise, BX with 60" #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
Just wandering if anyone else has heard this sound?Or have had any problems like this. I have a bx2230,60" mower with a little over 200hr's on it.Just started to notice some bearing noise,[I think] coming from deck when mower is runing 1/2 speed and up,sounds like left side to me.Deck has been greased by me since new,I have to say greased every 20hr's of mower usage.I use my mower to mow about 2 acre's a week,I have used it some to mow some high feild grass at times [just triming around the edge's]I think I've read on this forum about bearing issue's before,but my search has turn up no good info.Any thought's out their? more grease? is it the same bearing failing the first time for most? Thanks for your opinion's.

/ Mower noise, BX with 60" #2  
redharley, I have a different model 60" MMM on my B7500. The tractor has almost 900 hours on it, probably 85% mowing. I mow 2 acres of lawn weekly (more/less) and 8 acres of pasture monthly. At times, the pasture has been long and heavy. No unusual sounds or vibrations from MMM so far. Best wishes.

/ Mower noise, BX with 60" #3  
Check oil level in the gearbox.
larry

/ Mower noise, BX with 60"
I should have mention in my original post gear box is full and belt is tight.

/ Mower noise, BX with 60" #5  
Do a search for greasing decks, I recall something about grease not getting to lower bearings on spindles. I checked mine and found that little grease was getting to bottom until I took off the blades and dust covers, pumped the grease gun a minimum of ten times before I saw grease coming out bearing bottom. Something to check anyway. Good Luck!

/ Mower noise, BX with 60" #6  
Sounds like the bearing on the left spindle is going bad. Probably just the top one. Most likely some water got into it. I had the same noise from the 60" deck on my B3030 after less than a year. When I took it apart the top bearing showed signs of rust. I attribute it to the fact that the mower spindles were not pumped full of grease when the dealer prepped it. I assumed that the spindles were full of grease so that first year I would only pump three or four shots into each zerk fitting every three or four times I mowed. Apparently, it was not enough to fill the spindle and keep the water out. Changing the bearing is not difficult and does not require any special tools. I got a new bearing and seal from my dealer and put it in myself. I didn't bother with asking for warranty since I like to do things myself. That way I know it is done right, or if not I know who to blame. Since then, I have made sure to keep the spindles full to the point that a little grease comes out around the top seal. It has been almost two full years now and the mower is still nice and quiet. Good luck.

/ Mower noise, BX with 60"
thanks for that info b2400 and toolguy I was sure I read it on here a while back.maybe I'll try pumping a lot of grease in their to see if it Quite's some.I never notice any grease coming out.I give it 3 - 4 pumps most of the time.Sounds like it's not really a problem, just lack of grease or instrutions.As most mechanic's in the Auto feild have told me not to put so much grease in that it pops the rubber boots which will allow water to enter.