Mowers

/ Mowers #1  

charlton289

Silver Member
Tractor
2016 massey ferguson GC 1705
I have a question for anyone I have a GC 1705 and the other day I had to mow my MIL yard and her grass was about 1.5 ft tall and it gave my tractor a good workout. I was wondering if I could get a bush hog and knock the really tall thick grass down and still have the mmm on because l don't have a trailer or truck that will carry both separate but I can do it together on my borrowed trailer. My tow vehicle is a 01 Dodge Durango with the 5.9 in it. I have no problem pulling without a bush hog but I don't think the extra weight will make that much of a difference. Thanks for any input.

/ Mowers #2  

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
Should be fine as long as you get the weight balanced properly.

As an aside it would work better to bush hog it and then wait a week for it to dry before you go back in - it will be a lot easier to chew up with the finish mower.

/ Mowers #3  

Phillip w

Platinum Member
Tractor
allis Chalmers 185 and massey ferguson 1531
I have to agree with creamer, it should work out fine. I also agree on the aspect of brush hogging the tall stuff first, let it sit and dry about a week or so and come back in and mow again. The dry grass will not be near as hard on your tractor and mower. If you get a brush hog, be prepared to put quite a bit of throttle to the tractor and in tall grass the brush hog will probably pull pretty hard.

/ Mowers #4  

irvingj

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 MF GC2310 TLB
What I do with my 2310 when trying to "reclaim" lawn is to go over it the first time with the MMM in its highest --or near that-- position. Works well as a poor man's bush hog, even up to small trees (<2" diameter). Then go back with MMM set to a normal level a week later.

I've also removed my "flapper-damper" thing on the MMM output, which seems to do a great job of really scattering clippings. I start in the center, more or less, and go in a left circular pattern, "blowing" clippings to the outside. Seems to work very well.

/ Mowers #5  

JWR

Elite Member
Tractor
MF 2660 LP, 3 Kubota B2150, Kubota BX2200, MH Pacer, Gravely 5660, etc.
I agree with irvingj -- Just use the MMM at the very highest setting and latter make the second pass with it set lower. Unless you have a lot of tall stuff and/or brush (and that on a regular basis) I don't see a need for a bush hog.