MT 125 Max tiller size?

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #1  

skikir

Tractor
LS MT125
The LS web site says the MT125 PTO has 17.2 HP. The Mt125 manual says MAX tiller working width is 50". I'm looking at a 51" working width tiller that the manufacturer says requires 27 34 hp at the PTO. I have a hard time believing that one extra inch on the tiller needs 10-17 more HP than a 50". The same dealer has 46" working width tiller that requires 18 35 hp at the PTO. Both tillers rotate at the same speed and direction and have the same number of tines. Do you think the LS PTO is under rated or the tiller specs are over rated and I could get away with a 51 inch?

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #2  
As long as you're under warranty, go with what the book says. If your dealer is willing to advise otherwise, have them put it in writing. Mine is 48", made by Taylor Pittsburgh in LS blue.

The 51 incher could have different mechanical internals, different gearbox or bearings or drive transfer mechanisms that require the extra HP. The tines could be heavier or cut deeper.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #3  
It will depend, a lot, on your soil type. Hard soils will require more hp and you might have to go a bit slower. Also - look at the weight of the various tillers and what does your specs say about recommended tiller weights.

This entire area - implement width vs implement weight - can be a real mystery and a PITA. Example - my Rhino 950 rear blade is 1050# and 96" wide. It's well within the spec for weight as Kubota calls out in their spec page. At 96" it's beyond the width recommended. I've used the Rhino for six years and had no difficulties.

Again, with my rear blade. The 96" blade works well for snow when offset and angled. If I restricted myself to the Kubota recommended width - 72" - I wouldn't even begin to plow a path as wide as my rear tires. Rear tires are 80". The width of a plowed path approaches ZERO when a 72" blade is offset and angled. Of course, I'm joking here, but you can see my point. A 72" blade, angled, will cut a 52" to 56" path.

As you approach the limits on the tiller you might have to go slower and till additional times to get the depth you want.

But the Op makes a point. If the 1" added tiller width is the only difference between 50" vs 51" - at 50" we are already dead.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #4  
Ok how did you get the tiller in LS blue?

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #5  
The LS web site says the MT125 PTO has 17.2 HP. The Mt125 manual says MAX tiller working width is 50". I'm looking at a 51" working width tiller that the manufacturer says requires 27 34 hp at the PTO. I have a hard time believing that one extra inch on the tiller needs 10-17 more HP than a 50". The same dealer has 46" working width tiller that requires 18 35 hp at the PTO. Both tillers rotate at the same speed and direction and have the same number of tines. Do you think the LS PTO is under rated or the tiller specs are over rated and I could get away with a 51 inch?

I think those hp ranges stated are the hp range the tiller is designed to handle. You can always use a lower hp tractor than specified but performance of the implement will be affected. The maximum rated hp input to PTO driven implements is usually limited by the robustness of the gearbox.

The general rule of thumb is 5 hp per foot of implement size. If the manual says you can use a 50" tiller, then I would not be concerned going 1" bigger. Soil type, hardness, and density will dictate how fast you can go.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #7  
I think those hp ranges stated are the hp range the tiller is designed to handle. You can always use a lower hp tractor than specified but performance of the implement will be affected. The maximum rated hp input to PTO driven implements is usually limited by the robustness of the gearbox.

The general rule of thumb is 5 hp per foot of implement size. If the manual says you can use a 50" tiller, then I would not be concerned going 1" bigger. Soil type, hardness, and density will dictate how fast you can go.

This. I have a 5' tiller that is a foot wider than the tractor specs call for. The 4' was not built all that sturdily so I went with the 5'. I was concerned about being able to lift it and if I had enough power. I took the tractor to the dealer to be sure I could lift it, and I've since run it in sand, clay, gravelly clay with a few rocks. It's handled it all. Be sure you have a good slip clutch and properly adjusted. I do get bounced around when running the tiller, and I have to be in 1st gear, 4 wheel drive to run it. (A bigger tractor would handle it better.)

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #8  
Thanks, I called my dealer and he wasn't sure if he could still get this from LS,, I should know more in a day or two.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #9  
A lot depends on how you use a tiller. A extra inch or 6 inches really doesnt make a difference. Go as big as you can easily handle. AND as wide or wider than your rear tires. Some want to "get it done" fast= you need more HP. I bought a Yanmar 60" used tiller from a tractor importer. $700.00. Works great!
I also mostly use my tiller just above idle speed. I can get as much done at slow speed as powering thru at higher speed making several passes. Real easy on the tiller and tractor.
Everybody has different soils and different ways they like to till.

/ MT 125 Max tiller size? #10  
Yup. +1 on as big as the tractor will handle. I have hard packed desert dirt, sand and rock filled "soil" here at the house that I have battled with shovel & rake for far too many years.

I told my MF dealer to get the Gearmore (they are the implement peeps out here, apparently) E Series 48" (53" overall) 36 L tines, gear driven and it weighs a monster 600 lbs. Yes, it will give my 3 PTH some grief, but, I need the weight of it to eat into the "dirt" I get to play in on our acre.

Patiently awaiting getting the GC1725MB home.

Happy Easter!!

Pick