Mule Bed-lift Installation

/ Mule Bed-lift Installation #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I was tempted to title this post "Mule Takes a Dump" /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif but I figured that wasn't too PC. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I received the Power-Hoist hydraulic bed-lift kit for my girlfriend's Kawasaki 3010 Mule last week and we installed it yesterday since the weather here in Texas was perfect. As promised, I took pictures of the installation and I'm putting the major parts of the installation in a series of photos in this post. If you are only interested in what the kit looks like out of the box and how it looks installed, just look at the picture attached to this post and then scroll down to the 9th post and look at the finished product.

I'll try to keep my descriptions brief, but if anyone wants more information, I'll gladly furnish the info if I can.

1st photo: I purchased the bedlift kit from Beartooth Kawasaki (see link above) for $699 + $35 shipping. Delivery was excellent (by UPS) and the entire assembly and parts were packed in a foam filled box (no danger of damage). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The contents of box were 1. lift assembly (fully assembled) 2. mounting hardware, 3. wiring harness 4. detailed step-by-step instructions. (see attachment)

Attachments

• 360640-Bedlift1.jpg
    360640-Bedlift1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,088
   / Mule Bed-lift Installation
2nd Photo:

First we removed the Mule's bed. It has a wiring harness for the tail lights and two pins for the bed pivot points. We set the bed aside, out of the way.

Attachments

• 360643-Bedlift2.jpg
    360643-Bedlift2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,104
3rd Photo:

The Power-Hoist assembly sits directly on top of the Mule's frame and is slid forward until two stop pins contact the frame.

Attachments

• 360644-Bedlift3.jpg
    360644-Bedlift3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,982
4th Photo:

The operating relay mounts underneath the Mule's seat. There is no hole to drill (it's already there) and the hardware includes a screw and aircraft locking nut. After the harness is attached, the red and black wires attach to the battery terminals. All connectors are pre-installed for an easy job.

Attachments

• 360648-Bedlift4.jpg
    360648-Bedlift4.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,858
5th Photo:

The control swithch mounts close to the operator's seatbelt and then the lift assembly cable is routed and connected to the wiring harness. Detailed instuctions on routing and cable ties are provided for this step.

Attachments

• 360650-Bedlift5.jpg
    360650-Bedlift5.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,342
6th Photo:

After the harness is routed and tied, testing the Power-Hoist is in order. After cycling through a few up-down cycles, the U-bolts are added to permanently mount the hoist to the Mule's frame. There are some close tolerances and tight fits at this stage, but everything fit perfectly.
/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 360652-Bedlift6.jpg
    360652-Bedlift6.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 2,012
7th Photo:

It's now time to reinstall the bed. The pins that were removed to take the bed off are used to attach the bed to the Power-Hoist. You have to grind one side of the pins flat so they will fit, but there are detailed instructions on how to do this.

Attachments

• 360655-Bedlift7.jpg
    360655-Bedlift7.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,445
8th Photo:

Sorry about the darker photo...
After attaching the bed with the pins, you have to drill two 1/2" diameter holes into the bed for the front mounting of the lift arms (see yellow circle in attachment). After the holes are drilled, a 1/2" carriage bolt is placed through the lift arm and a white nylon spacer installed. Only one of these is visible in the photo.

To complete installation, spacers are added to the Mule's frame so they will hit the bed's pads when the bed is lowered. See the blue circles in the attachment.

Finally, the taillights are reconnected to the Mule's wiring harness.

Attachments

• 360656-Bedlift8.jpg
    360656-Bedlift8.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,873
9th Photo:

Finally, the job is done and it's time to back off and look at the finished product. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

This product was a pleasure to install and the only way I can describe the way it works is "WOW!". The entire bed is raised 1-1/2 inches and this will allow larger diameter rear tires if you want them. The lift capacity of the Power-Hoist is 1,200 lb, and that's above the rated capacity of the gasoline Mule.

Also, notice the mirror installed on the windshield. This is a perfect addition if you drive on any street or county road.

Attachments

• 360660-Bedlift9.JPG
    360660-Bedlift9.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,843
   / Mule Bed-lift Installation #10  
Great pics Jim! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the walk through. It was really interesting. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif