MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution?

/ MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution? #1  

brown40

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Hi All,

Had the MX5 snap ring/retaining bolt flaw happen to me over the weekend & sheared the output shaft on the bush hog; no easy obvious fixes without investing half a new cutter in my lightly used one.

Does anyone know of a domestic source for the comer industries LF-227J gearbox? Spanish company that made the 503 gearbox, and I'm guessing was the Deere subcontractor(?) they left for China

A Comer gearbox, even at same cost as the $800 unobtanium shaft (add new seals too) would make me more pleased, as the Deere behavior in hopping subcontractors exhibited on the MX gearbox series conveys clear problems of some form were present for the line, yet the shaft that costs you $100-200 for any other box, with no exceptionally different machining processes... leaves a bad taste, and the dealer network is hostage to the line.

It sure looks similar to the spanish gearbox in the barn, but the shaft has a nut instead of a bolt... even 75hp rating. For sale in Australia, Ireland, UK... anybody in the US able to buy them? Looks like they rotated the bolt pattern 30 degrees, but I can solve that. I'll get detailed measurements & update.

If it's the fix, there's a bunch of busted cutters that could use it.

UPDATE: hole to hole spacing for the mount is identical; height from mount to gearbox bottom, from mount to center of shaft. gear ratio for 22 teeth to 13= 1.69... This looks like the lost gearbox.

Last edited:
   / MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution? #2  
G'day check out the bare co site have used alot of their g/boxes without a prob.

Jon

/ MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution?
Hi Jon,

I checked them out & the site is difficult to navigate. The issue is a long enough shaft to get to the bottom of the stump jumper where the MX has a two part deck. I'm discouraged but think I may almost have a solution figured out, but may entail more cutting & welding than I am up for trying to line up.

/ MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution? #4  
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzUwWDM1MA==/z/p2cAAOxyNExSMiMW/$(KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y,20FBSMiMVnwbQ~~60_7.JPGhttp://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MzUwWDM1MA==/z/p2cAAOxyNExSMiMW/$(KGrHqZHJCYFIb3y,20FBSMiMVnwbQ~~60_7.JPG

Don't know about that model but saw this company on eBay. They had various gearboxes. I just shopped and bought a new 120 horse rated box or my Woods BB 720 cutter. Got mine at Coleman equipment. This probably won't help but thought I would at least try

Thanks HJ,

JD seems to have made a unique shaft length & bolt pattern for their cutters to ensure their spec'd gearbox is the only straight fit.The only close one I am waiting on a quote for, and I suspect would require cutting the reinforcing bowl out & rotating it 30 degrees and getting a 20 to 21 spline adapter, which all factored may be more trouble than its worth. I appreciate the info though! Gearbox part replacement cost and availability will definitely be a factors considered if I get a new cutter!

Well, the estimate for parts to fix the mx5 without modification is $2200, and a new one is $2500. I think I can get a perfectly spec'd gearbox, replacement slip driveline, & welder for that, rotate the bowl 30 degrees, make new holes in the deck & still be ahead $1200, and be set up for welding. How sad is THAT?
I'll post the work & costs & you can see if it's worth your trouble once it's running.
The gearbox now has a nut over female threads & pin extending out, instead of a recessed bolt.
I think JD really liked the theory behind that recessed bolt design & tried to stick with it longer than they should have.
Between the bolt termination and 90 cut on the snap ring there's not much steel. Now they use the nut & advertise the warranty... wonder how much advertising my first $2000 paid for?

/ MX 5 John Deere gearbox solution? #7  
Any update on your modification? I have an MX5 with the same issue, and would be interested in the details of what you did and how it turned out.