3-Point Hitch MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5 #1  

Redbaron57

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 65, Ferguson TEA20
Can anyone help with troubleshooting the 3 Point Hitch control on a Case MX150?

The arms will only move up and down a tiny bit near the top of the stroke when the knob is turned while activated. The display shows Error code 5.

This seems to indicate there are no mechanical issues but the electronics are getting a message that is stopping everything. I suspect it is stuck in draft control but if so, it refuses to come out when I go through the ritual described in the manual.

The dealer's mechanic sat in the cab reading the manual and twiddling the knobs for a couple of hours, then left it the same as it was before. That did not stop his boss sending a bill for hundreds of dollars. We don't want to pay any more for the mechanic to educate himself, so I want to try and identify the problem somehow.

Can any kind soul help with the following:
1/. What is Error Code 5?
2/. I cannot see anything that senses draft control. What is used for draft sensing?
3/. Provide copies of relevant pages from the service manual or other advice explaining how the system works?
4/. Suggestions about what might be happening?

Thanks for reading and any advice you can offer,
Rolf

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5
I believe I have found some answers to my questions above after a few hours of Google searching and looking over the tractor. An update is below if anyone is interested or can help further.
1/. It is not Error Code 5 but S for sensor fault - referring to the draft sensors.
2/. Draft sensing is via load cells built into the two pins at the front of the bottom links.
A US forum stated that the system will work in Position Control if the load sensing pins are disconnected. I went looking for the terminals.
I discovered the plastic seal was twisted and not seated properly in the RHS load sensor terminal block, situated on the side of the transmission housing, just in front of the axle housing flange. This appears to have allowed moisture to enter as one of the three terminals appeared corroded. After unplugging and reconnecting this terminal block the error code now looks like G or perhaps C. I assume the corroded terminal pin was not conducting until I disturbed it and that it is now conducting, eliminating the S code.
If the new code is C it may mean "Calibration". Another US forum post described a mysterious ritual required to achieve this, normally known only to the keepers of the workshop manual that is guarded jealously by the dealer. I am not sure the procedure described is the correct one for the MX150.
I am still searching for the LHS terminal block that I must carefully dig from the years of accumulated oily dirt under the cab, without damaging anything.
The exploration will continue next week when I return to the property.

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5 #3  
I believe I have found some answers to my questions above after a few hours of Google searching and looking over the tractor. An update is below if anyone is interested or can help further.
1/. It is not Error Code 5 but S for sensor fault - referring to the draft sensors.
2/. Draft sensing is via load cells built into the two pins at the front of the bottom links.
A US forum stated that the system will work in Position Control if the load sensing pins are disconnected. I went looking for the terminals.
I discovered the plastic seal was twisted and not seated properly in the RHS load sensor terminal block, situated on the side of the transmission housing, just in front of the axle housing flange. This appears to have allowed moisture to enter as one of the three terminals appeared corroded. After unplugging and reconnecting this terminal block the error code now looks like G or perhaps C. I assume the corroded terminal pin was not conducting until I disturbed it and that it is now conducting, eliminating the S code.
If the new code is C it may mean "Calibration". Another US forum post described a mysterious ritual required to achieve this, normally known only to the keepers of the workshop manual that is guarded jealously by the dealer. I am not sure the procedure described is the correct one for the MX150.
I am still searching for the LHS terminal block that I must carefully dig from the years of accumulated oily dirt under the cab, without damaging anything.
The exploration will continue next week when I return to the property.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this. I am working on my CX100 now. Just bypassed the load pin with some resisters to rid of the A code, now it has the S code.

Update on latest development on the MX150 3 Point Hitch (":3 point Linkage" in Australian Lingo):
The G code appears to actually be a 0 on this tractor - one segment of the LED display has a poor contact. The extra segment lights when the display is massaged or bumped. 0 means everything normal. It appears that the pivot bearings are seized and that is the only reason the arms will not lower. Root cause appears to be the twisted seal I discovered on the load sensing pin terminal block, leading to moisture ingress, terminal corrosion and loss of contact. The hitch then did not move for so long that the bearings rusted solid. Next step is to try to get the bearings free and hope it all works again.

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5 #5  
My arms move with the toggle switch a few inches at a time when I had the A. code, but after I by passed the load pin with the resister wire, now with the S. code they will not move and the toggle switch blinks. I hooked up the old load pin wire and it went back the A. code with the arms moving a few inches at a time again. Anyone who may be able to help would be appreciated.

I read on a forum that the control will return on some models if the load pins are simply disconnected.

A plug-in resistor module is available from the US to overcome loss of control thru load pin failure on some Case IH models as listed at: Draft Load Sensor Pin Elimination Kit 830485 for Case IH Magnum Tractor | eBay

I found the following info on a forum somewhere - not sure where any more. I hope I do not offend anyone by posting it, because it may be useful:

Case IH Error Code A Troubleshooting procedure:

A short to the 8-Volt regulator in the hitch controller causes the 'A' error code. There can be several possibilities causing this: a bad hitch system potentiometer, bad load pin, a short to ground in the wiring to any of these components, or a bad hitch controller.

The list of components (besides the controller) that could be bad includes the following:
Rockshaft (position) Potentiometer
Right Draft Pin
Left Draft Pin
Position Control Potentiometer
Load Control Potentiometer
Travel Control Potentiometer
Hitch Response Speed Potentiometer (7100, 7200 only)
Drop Speed Potentiometer
Upper Limit Control Potentiometer (not available on 7100)
Every component mentioned above has three wires running back to the hitch controller. The black wire gives the component a ground through the controller, the red wire gives the component 8 Volts from the controller, and the light blue wire is a signal that varies the voltage going back to the controller. A short in any one of these components or wiring will cause the 8 Volts to be lost every where, and the 'A' code will appear.
Follow these steps to pin-point the cause of the 'A' code, using a digital multi-meter:
NOTE: To prevent the chance of eliminating the failed component on the first check, test the 8 volt circuit in 2 locations.
Turn the key on.
NOTE: It does not matter where you begin this process, you can test these components in any order.
Unplug the Rockshaft Potentiometer (Pot). Measure the voltage from the red wire to the black wire on the harness connector (pin A to pin C). If the Rockshaft Pot is bad, 8 Volts will be observed. If the Rockshaft Pot is not the problem, there will not be 8 Volts, continue the steps.
Leave the Rockshaft Pot unplugged. Move on to the Right Draft Pin and unplug it. Measure the voltage from the red wire to the black wire on the harness connector (pin A to pin C). If this component is bad, 8 Volts will be observed. If this component is not the problem, there will not be 8 Volts, continue the steps.
Continue to unplug components and test for 8 Volts. Leave components unplugged as you go along. Realize that if you unplug the component that is bad, the 8 Volts will come back every where.
If you get to the point where all the components are unplugged, and there is still no 8 Volts, check for shorts in the wiring.
Turn the key off.
With all components unplugged, move to each one of the component connectors one at a time. On the harness side of each connector test the resistance from the light blue wire to chassis, and the red wire to chassis (refer to a schematic in service manual for proper pin locations). Both of these resistances to chassis should read OPEN, or O.L. (Open Line). If any of these wires shows low resistance, find the short and repair the harness as necessary.
If all the component connectors have been tested for shorts and no problems are found, unplug the controller connector and check for power and ground on the harness side. The keyed power pin should have 12 Volts with the key on. The ground pin should read less than about 3 ohms when testing resistance to chassis.
Power and Ground Pins: 7100 Magnum 37 Pin Connector at controller Pin 5, 12 Volt switched Pin 1, Ground 7200 Magnum 16 Pin Connector at controller Pin 14, 12 Volt switched Pin 1, Ground 8900 Magnum Green Connector at controller Pin 1, 12 Volt switched Pin 12, Ground MX Maxxum and MXC Green Connector at controller Pin 1, 12 Volt switched Pin 12, Ground
If none of the above tests reveals a problem replace the controller.

If the toggle switch blinks on the MX150 it means the control is not activated. The position knob must be rotated until it corresponds with the actual position of the arms. The light then stays on and control is restored. You probably have already tried that MagnessQH but if not give it a go.

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5 #8  
I have seen the elimination kit on ebay, but the CX100 is not list. The CX100 only has 1 plug for the load pin. I sent them an email and asked about it, but the vendor did not know. One wire is a ground, wire B has a resister range of 84K to 92K and wire C has a range of 220K to 265k. I am sure that the elimination kit does just what I did and just has the appropriate resisters between A and B and A and C. My theory seemed to work, I am just not sure what the S. code means. Thanks for your help!

This is the only Case IH 3 Point Hitch Fault Code Listing I could get hold of:
MODELS 7110-7120-7130-7140
3 Point Hitch Codes
If the "A" code is displayed, it indicates low battery voltage (less than 9.8 volts) or a ground in the 8 volt circuits to the left or right hitch pin sensors (15 or 16), or the control lever potentiometer (9), or the hitch position potentiometer (14).
The "E" code indicates too high battery voltage. If battery voltage exceeds 19 volts, electronic hitch controls will shut down.
The "2" code indicates a failure in the lower portion of the control valve solenoid. Hitch will not lower but will raise.
The “H" code indicates hitch position circuit failure. Circuit open or grounded or hitch position potentiometer is out of adjustment.
The "P” code indicates a failure in the control lever circuit. Circuit has an open or ground or the control lever potentiometer is out of adjustment.
The "9" code indicates a travel control circuit failure. Circuit has an open or ground. Electronic hitch system will function in position control only^.
The "L" code indicates a failure in the load control circuit. Circuit is open or has a ground. Electronic hitch system will function in position control only.
If the "S" code is displayed, it indicates a failure in the circuit for the hitch pin sensors (15 and 16). Electronic hitch system will function in position control
only.
The "1" code indicates an up/down switch failure. Up/down switch is inoperative.
The "6" code indicates a drop speed circuit failure. Drop speed operates in maximum speed only.
The "7" code indicates a hitch response speed control circuit failure. Response speed operates in maximum speed only.
The "4" code indicates an enable or reset indicator light circuit failure. All other hitch functions are operative.
The "C" code indicates a valve compensation failure (failure of potentiometer or module to synchronize the control lever to hitch).
If a decimal point only is shown as a code, it indicates that tractor ground speed is less than 0.5 mph (0.8 km/h) or ground speed signal is not present. Hitch system will not operate in load control.
If no code is shown, wire or wires are open, segments are not functioning, monitor is disconnected, monitor is defective, fuse is blown or module is defective.
NOTE: If any of the following codes exist, there will be no hitch control. An "F" code fiashes alternately with an error code.
The “F, 3” code flashing alternately, indicates a failure in the valve raise solenoid circuit.
The “F, A”code flashing alternately, indicates a failure of both the supply voltage and the up/down switch circuits.
The “F, E” code flashing alternately, indicates a too high battery voltage and a failure of the up/down switch circuit.
The “F, H”code flashing alternately, indicates a failure of both the hitch position and the up/down switch circuits.
The “F, P” code flashing alternately, indicates a failure of both the hitch position lever control and the up/down switch circuits.

/ MX150 3 point hitch arms stay up - error code 5 #10  
I just matched these codes with the partial list I have from my dealer and they do not match my cx100, so I am probably wasting your time. Sorry, John Magness, Oklahoma