MX5400 breakout/lift strength?

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #11  
HST? Trying to lift while moving will disappoint.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #12  
I've been underwhelmed by MX5400 LA1065 combo as well. I came from an '07 L3940 with a Woods loader that I feel like would do more than my MX can. I asked my dealer about it but they said everything was in spec. My L3940 would easily lift the rear end off the ground if I tried to pick something up that was too heavy. MX doesn't even sniff it. I understand there's other factors at play but bottom line is I fell like I downgraded in FEL capacity. I wish I would've done a little more research when I got the MX. I wanted more HP but I didn't want to increase physical size too much. Kubota markets the MX as crossover between the L and M series but in some case the MX has worse specs than the L series.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #13  
My MX4800 can certainly lift the rear tires if I'm not ballasted. A I can lift a full bucket of crusher run and can barely lift pallets of wall blocks. I can lift enough to be sketchy even with the 1500 lb backhoe attached.

Off hand I'd say you have a problem. Either that or Kubota downrated to newer MX tractors.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #14  
Couple of things

First....the loaders are nearly identical.
Second....get a pressure gauge. Just to check.

Third....was the old 4330 a gear trans?

With a gear trans....its instinctive to drive into a pile, push clutch, and lift. Meaning no pressure still trying to drive the tractor foward.

With a HST....its too easy to non-consciously still be applying forward pressure while trying to scoop. This will disappoint sea2summit pointed out. AS the loader lifts, it is actually moving FORWARD. And the weight and pressure of the tractor still tryin to drive forward into the pile is more than the loader can overcome

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength?
The MX5400 is a geared, while the L4330 was a GST. The L48 is an HST, and I've never had issues with it (or the L4330) scooping gravel. Maybe I simply need some more time on the MX, but it definitely feels *different*.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #16  
The MX5400 is a geared, while the L4330 was a GST. The L48 is an HST, and I've never had issues with it (or the L4330) scooping gravel. Maybe I simply need some more time on the MX, but it definitely feels *different*.
I still think you have an issue. The LA1065 on my tractor is quite strong in the lift category. I have 400# SSQA forks. With them attached I can still lift a one ton pallet to any height. This is the full rated lift capacity of about 2400 pounds. When you’re lifting heavy material in a buck, don’t underestimate the greatly increased weight of a larger bucket full of material. One foot of increased bucket width is a substantial difference in overall weight.

Last edited:
   / MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #17  
THe L48 is quite a bit stronger so not really a good comparison.

The MX has basically the same loader as the 4330 did. ANd since both are gear and both kubota...I would think similar to operate.

Id get a pressure gauge and check pressure before trying to figure anything else

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #18  
My 5800 with LA1065 FEL was delivered with the hyd. pressure set 10% below spec. The dealer claims it was for "safety & liability" protection. They had no problem setting it to spec though when I complained. Might be something to check.

Although the MX5800 / LA1065 is considerably stronger than my previous L3430 with LA723, like you, I can't bury the bucket and expect it to break out. I can still lift a full rounded bucket of modified gravel though if I use a scooping action and roll the bucket slowly as I push into the pile.

Keep in mind, many of these CUT's aren't designed to be heavy duty front end loaders. Consistently overloading a bucket can shorten the life of the front axle seals on many Kubota models, especially if insufficient rear ballast isn't used.

Although the MX does what I need it to do, it's for these reasons my next tractor will likely be a TLB.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #19  
I have a new MX5400 with the standard loader/bucket (LA1065) and 3rd function valve with a grapple. I put about an hour on the tractor a couple of days ago moving crusher run to spread around a new barn, and I've been a little underwhelmed with the lift/"breakout" strength (if that's the correct term) of the loader when scooping crusher run out of a pile of rock. This tractor replaced an '07 L4330, and the 5400 feels like it doesn't have the lift strength of the older 4330. Specifically, when trying to scoop up gravel, it basically wouldn't do anything until you took some of the pressure off the bucket (either backing up, dumping, etc). I can't bury the bucket in a pile of crusher run, and expect to roll the bucket up or lift it. I never had this issue with the 4330, especially not to this extent. My other tractors are an L48 backhoe and 7060, and while I know you can't compare it with the 7060, it doesn't seem to have the "scoop" power of the L48 either.

Specs show this tractor to have a higher lift rating than the older 4330, and I haven't tried lifting anything with a set of pallet forks...but I have been less than impressed with the loader so far. It almost seems like the hydraulic pressure itself is too low....I may need to check and confirm that the hydraulic fluid isn't low.

I guess I just expected this tractor & loader to be noticeably stronger than the L4330, but so far that doesn't seem to be the case.
As others stated check your hydraulic pressure I believe its the same as my L4701 2560 psi I just spread a bunch of #57 in new building I have no problem filling bucket up at 1800-2000 rpm’s had handling I obliviously can’t compare to your past a present tractors but mine is strong I can even pick a ton of stone up on a pallet to about 2.5 to 3ft to move around LA765 loader rated like 1670 lbs max lift.Your mx5400 should be stronger than your experiencing with a max lift of like 2200 lbs would make me think you got hydraulic flow issue ?? Good luck keep us posted on diagnosi.

/ MX5400 breakout/lift strength? #20  
I've been underwhelmed by MX5400 LA1065 combo as well. I came from an '07 L3940 with a Woods loader that I feel like would do more than my MX can. I asked my dealer about it but they said everything was in spec. My L3940 would easily lift the rear end off the ground if I tried to pick something up that was too heavy. MX doesn't even sniff it. I understand there's other factors at play but bottom line is I fell like I downgraded in FEL capacity. I wish I would've done a little more research when I got the MX. I wanted more HP but I didn't want to increase physical size too much. Kubota markets the MX as crossover between the L and M series but in some case the MX has worse specs than the L series.
I personally would get my own pressure gauge very easy to check pressure.I have an 2019 L4701 when I was shopping I also looked at MX5200 it was like 1800 more in 2019.Only reason I considered it was FEL capacity but to much I liked about L4701 no regrets 20 acres maintenance and tree clearing stump digging with BH 92 been very happy.Hard to imagine the Mx 5400 wouldn’t be up to par unless there’s an issue ?? Your pressure I believe is same as mine at 2560 psi.