My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair!

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair! #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
After 29 years my 1988 1720 SSS needs repair!
The power steering cylinder has started to leak so I just ordered the parts from Messicks.
It has close to 2900 hours on it and this is the first time it has ever needed repair.
It has performed above & beyond it's designed capacity (thanks to the addition of a turbocharger) with no issues.
I bought it with 100 hours, FEL, rear mower for $12.5k
One of the best purchases I've ever made.
90cummins

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair! #2  
My 1720 power steering seals recently required replacement. Installation was fairly easy- my 1st time repairing a hydraulic cylinder. Ordered the kit. Went well with no leaks. I'm around 3000 hours. I'm very interested in learning more about your 1720 turbo installation. Read one of your posts and saw your photos. Nice. Can you elaborate on how you increased fuel for the 1720 injection pump / system? I'm considering adding a turbo as well for just a bit more power to get thru some short periods of bogging down. My injection pump has developed some leakage from the internal o rings so I've got a set of vitons and planning to install this winter. A turbo upgrade would be a fun project.

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair!
Don’t recall offhand which screw was fuel or rpm I’ll have to wake up some braincells.
I will get back to you.
90cummins

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair! #4  
Don’t recall offhand which screw was fuel or rpm I’ll have to wake up some braincells.
I will get back to you.
90cummins
Just checking back with you regarding my injection pump question about turning up fuel on a 1720. Any recollection of how to adjust? I'd really like to follow your lead and go turbo. Thanks.

Totally forgot about you. I will up info tonight.
90cummins

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair! #6  
Totally forgot about you. I will up info tonight.
90cummins

Thanks. Fortunately I just located the adjustment details in a manual. Looks like the two screws tied by a safety seal. One controls fuel/smoke and the other is high speed no load idle. Does that match up to your memory? According to the manual- CCW increases fuel and increases high idle (for each screw respectively). Now I need to locate an appropriately sized turbocharger...
I'll start a new thread to solicit input. I've butchered this thread enough. Sorry to the OP. Thanks 90cummins.

That sounds right.
Before making any adjustments mark the bolt/screw head & record how much & which way you turn them so you can get back home!
90cummins

My turbo came off a Saab, Garrett model GT1752

/ My 1988 Ford 1720SSS needs repair! #9  
My turbo came off a Saab, Garrett model GT1752

Love the idea of a $35 genuine Garrett. Great score! Do you feel it's a good match for the 1.5L tractor? I read some of your early posts (prior to turning up the fuel), and I was a bit concerned the turbocharger was oversized since the boost was relatively low with the wastegate wired shut. But some of your more recent posts seem to indicate boost was up after adjusting the injection pump. I'd appreciate your thoughts on turbo sizing and if you'd go back with the same size turbocharger if you turbo'd another 1720? I like your approach using a used quality brand as well. I see quite a few used Saab turbo's on eBay so that'll probably be my preferred source. The configuration looked almost ideal for the 1720 installation.