My better half has been offered a job!

/ My better half has been offered a job! #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
Hey all,

I've been the sole breadwinner in my household since I was about 25 years old and I'm 57 now. Prior to that I had roommates. My wife came to the US in 2007 and did work at an entry level job for about 2 1/2 years before our son was born almost 10 years ago. That income was so small I almost don't count it. A few years ago she started taking classes at a community college and managed to get her LPN license about a month ago. The demand for nurses seems to be incredible right now and her timing entering the workforce seems about perfect as far as earning potential is concerned. She applied at two facilities and both wanted to hire her immediately. She's in the process of accepting a job at the facility that made the best offer.

I know it will add stress to the household and I hope we're ready for it. On the upside, we've managed to survive on one income for years and even put some money away monthly. We have zero debt and we're really looking forward to increasing our savings. With our household income basically doubling I don't even know what to expect. On top of the added income I will no longer have to pay about $800 per month for my wife and son's health insurance. She will be covered by her new employer and his insurance will be significantly less through them also.

I have to say, we're pretty danged excited!
Kevin

/ My better half has been offered a job! #3  
Congrats!! Thank her for taking on a tough job.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #4  
Congratulations to you AND your wife.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #5  
Yeah nurses without the shot are opening up a lot of jobs for nurses with the shots right now. Crazy how many are gone now with many mandates.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #6  
Makes life interesting and support/encouragement given now will not be forgotten.

Nursing can be quite flexible and but stress overwhelms some.

Any friends/family mentors available…

A lot of nurses are retiring so a lot of opportunity if it is a good fit.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #7  
My Mom went back to school and became a RN graduating with honors at the age of 50. My oldest sister has been a practicing RN for 46 years now. As far as the shot sending huge numbers of nurses to the unemployment lines, I think the shortage was already there, before covid, the huge number of patients has just amplified the shortage!
Keep out of debt and continue to live on a single salary and invest the second, and retire as millionaires!!
David from jax

/ My better half has been offered a job! #8  
Nice, very nice. Congrats. We have been in the situation of both of us working and not needing to for quite a while now so I have been putting away 23% for years until they recently changed it. Not only that but my wife is a bank Exec VP and she has been salting away money in savings. Also, I like the idea of having a years worth of salary in cash in a safe deposit box or safe. It's amazing how fast you can save a substantial amount of money. That said, I think we are in the middle of a stock market scare and downturn so invest wisely and you can retire before you know it.

/ My better half has been offered a job! #10  
congratulations

i'm assuming that she is double - vaxxed, or the job won't last long ... just saying