My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #291  
I'm in the market for a long gun or two. Our place is probably an hour or so away.

/ My Brothers Estate #292  
   / My Brothers Estate #293  
I've been burned on Gunbroker the last two times I bought there... the items were nowhere near in the condition described. (My fault for bidding on As-is.) Then last fall I was shopping for a Contender... at the time TCwas in limbo so I was unable to find new prices. There were two on Gunbroker for around $600 plus fees and shipping so when I found one locally for $600 I bought it. He must have gotten his price from the same place because this spring I had it appraised and I got burned again... it's worth about 1/2 that.
I believe you pointed out your own mistake. "As-is" in the honest term for you most likely won't like it.

I take pics of the worst ares of the firearm and point that out. Whenever you look at pics of firearms with the lighting, you can always pic the best photos or worst photos of the gun. Try to get a good pic, but include anything that would show marks/scratches... Also, as long as the gun doesn't leave the FFL of the buyer, gun can be returned no questions asked as long as they pay for shipping the gun back to my FFL and they pay the transfer fee. I've got a A+ rating as a sell with a decent amount of transactions ;)

In hindsight, if Eddie has a crapload of guns to deal with, added helping his parents with the estate, I would probably agree to try to sell to a auction house that can buy everything with one check. May not get the overall sell price, but just be done with it.

However, depending on what Eddie's brother has, I'd look at more than just what Eddie would want to keep himself. Think about all the kids in the family. I'm certain some kids would love to be able to keep a rifle or pistol from their uncle down the road. Keeping some of the guns for future generations of the family would be worth it IMO. For myself, the guns that have the most value in my life are those that were given to me by my father or uncles.

Last edited:
   / My Brothers Estate #294  
Actually, since Eddie isn't listed as the executor of his brothers Estate, nor would he inherit anything, keeping track of expenses on his end is kind of a moot point and would accomplish nothing.

Now that said, I have no doubt that what Eddie does and tells his mother he does is "Gold", if there is money in the estate to be paid to Eddie for his services, his mother will pay him. Thing is, not all families are the same.

That's not legal, but love and understanding that you're doing the right thing for the person you love.

Thing is, I'm guessing most people here on this forum are not eyeballs in debt, and they have enough assets to cover what debt they owe.

When my aunt died basically penniless(no assets) and I was the executor of her estate, I lived 484 miles out of state. It was a 8 hour drive one way, more than a couple of trips on my end (with my truck in a couple of instances to move things). Because our family was so large, I still got questioned on my expenses (and yes, I filed everything with the lawyer). Honestly, being her executor was the biggest PITA life experiences I've had dealing with family, but at the end of the day, it was a learning experience about people and I didn't mind because my aunt loved and trusted me, and it's the least I could do for her since she was no longer with us.

My dad, selling his sisters "family home" got questioned as well on his expenses from family being he was the executor because there were back taxes and legal fees on the home that ran over 10k over a 40 year period. When my dad died, I found the paperwork on the home. Interesting reading, at least 1" thick. I never knew he kept the paperwork.

GET A LAYWER ;)

Or better yet: Get an accountant (especially if you have a trusted one).

When dad died, mom was still 100% healthy and just needed our help getting things taken care of. It was of course hard on all of us, but mom was strong through it all and we just stuck together.

BUT, when mom died, the work was 10x harder. We have a family accountant. He’s like part of our businesses we all owned over the decades. When mom got cancer, she called him and asked HIM to handle her estate.

BEST decision she could have made. Lawyers wanted to steal 25% to handle it. Our accountant, with a little help from me and my brothers & sisters, did everything for about $5,000.
It all went smooth as glass. I found out from our accountant that most lawyers have accountants do all the gov paperwork filings, tax planning, etc anyway.

If you know a good accountant, he/she can do it all for you at much less cost.

/ My Brothers Estate #295  
A will means nothing as long as his heart is still beating. Talk to a lawyer who specializes in senior issues.
That is a foolish statement! When does a will mean something? You sure can't write one if your heart isn't beating. Perhaps you mean it has no effect, but it sure does mean something. Anyone with a will had desires of handling affairs after passing!

/ My Brothers Estate #296  
I believe you pointed out your own mistake. "As-is" in the honest term for you most likely won't like it.
That might not be quite the right term. They were “no returns”, which means the same thing. My .410 in particular was nowhere near as described. My comment really has nothing to do with Eddie and his brother’s guns though.

/ My Brothers Estate #297  
I've purchased half a dozen firearms on Gun Broker. Each was a satisfactory transaction.

/ My Brothers Estate #299  
That might not be quite the right term. They were “no returns”, which means the same thing. My .410 in particular was nowhere near as described. My comment really has nothing to do with Eddie and his brother’s guns though.
"No returns" or "as is" per a sales description equates to "buyer beware" IMO. IMO "buyer beware" basically means to me that there is a sucker born every minute. "A sucker born every minute" basically equates to me that there are unscrupulous people in our world.

The issue I have as a seller of a product is I'm not out to knowingly screw a potential buyer if I know there is something wrong with what I'm selling. I'm going to guess that you may go by that same philosophy. I mean, if you intentionally know you're selling something with a defect or lie on the description of the item you're selling, how do you sleep with yourself at night knowing you mislead people into buying from you so you can make money?

Anyone who has a A+ rating on gunbroker should treat you fair as you'd expect to be treated IMO.

Now... Armslist is a whole different world in selling guns over the internet :ROFLMAO: You want stupid people, Armslist is the place. So many potential scams its really amazing.

I'm going to guess that Eddie will give us a pass on getting off track.

/ My Brothers Estate #300  
Now I’m really starting from the topic. Yet I have refused to sell a truck because the potential buyer didn’t understand that just because he could drive it home didn’t mean it wouldn’t need TLC.