My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #311  
Eddie,

Did you ever resolve the gun safe dilemma?

/ My Brothers Estate
Not yet. I have it in my new garage addition, but it's not secure in there yet. I need a long weekend to finish tying the new roof into the old roof where I'm positive it's not going to rain when I cut the exiting roof and remove it. I also have to do this when I'm done with one job, and before starting the next one. This time of the year, it's been a challenge with all the rain we've been getting.

I've been watching YouTube vidoes and I believe that I can drill a hole through the safe door, just below the hole where the wires go through it that will be covered by the combination thingy. If that works, I can salvage the safe by filling the hole and covering it with the combination thingy. If not, I'll destroy the door with my grinder and open it that way. From everything that I've learned about Cannon Safes, it's not really something that I would buy if I was out buying a safe to keep my stuff secure.

I just don't want it opened until I can close up the garage. Once the roof is on, I'll install the garage door, and feel better about opening the safe.

/ My Brothers Estate #313  
From everything that I've learned about Cannon Safes, it's not really something that I would buy if I was out buying a safe to keep my stuff secure.
I've owned a cannon safe, and I would agree with your assessment.

I might of missed it, but did you call a locksmith? Mine was no problem when I had issues with the digital lock.

Worst case, a cannon is good from the smash and grab crackheads looking for a quick easy score.

/ My Brothers Estate
I spoke to one locksmith who wasn't interested. I might call another, but I'm not sure it's worth spending money to hire somebody to do it.

/ My Brothers Estate #315  
But a locksmith might be able to talk to Cannon Safes as to how to remove existing lockset without destroying the door. My neice's husband has done it with Browning Safes. He is out of southern Michigan, though. Jon

/ My Brothers Estate #316  
I spoke to one locksmith who wasn't interested. I might call another, but I'm not sure it's worth spending money to hire somebody to do it.
Although mine was done about 17 years ago, it was no more than $50 and done in about 10 minutes (local guy in town). The guy spent more time showing me the inside safe door when it was apart showing my why they are cheap :ROFLMAO: Heck, no drill needed.

Assuming it's big enough to hold some things of semi value, it would be worth it IMO than to destroy the door and not be able to use it. Heck, for what the locksmith "might" cost (assuming pushing $100) I'd think you'd be able to sell it for at least $200, make $100 and have someone take it off your hands.

I believe once you get the lock opened, you can then reset it. Could be wrong on that, something else to consider.

Yes, they are not the greatest safes in the world, but they'll keep kids and stupid thief's out.

/ My Brothers Estate #317  
I suppose you've seen these videos...

/ My Brothers Estate #318  
I've been watching YouTube vidoes and I believe that I can drill a hole through the safe door, just below the hole where the wires go through it that will be covered ....
Eddie, be sure to have Geraldo and crew there before you start drilling! 😆

/ My Brothers Estate #319  
You can into the laptop drive by removing it and adding it as an auxilliary drive on another computer. I had to do this for m BIL to get stock & bond lists, photos, etc.
It saddens me whenever someone goes thru this, especially you Eddie, you're a cornerstone of this forum! My heart stopped for a few minutes a month ago from dehtdration + cardiomyopathy from the Modern shot (I was told). But, I was brought back with some Hydration Multiplier. Since then I've been thorough about what is where, passwords, and who gets what.

/ My Brothers Estate #320  
You can into the laptop drive by removing it and adding it as an auxilliary drive on another computer. I had to do this for m BIL to get stock & bond lists, photos, etc.
It saddens me whenever someone goes thru this, especially you Eddie, you're a cornerstone of this forum! My heart stopped for a few minutes a month ago from dehtdration + cardiomyopathy from the Modern shot (I was told). But, I was brought back with some Hydration Multiplier. Since then I've been thorough about what is where, passwords, and who gets what.
USB to sata adapter (y)