My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ?

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #1  

GrnMtnMan

Tractor
JD 5425, NH T4.75, NH TC40DA
I picked up a f3990 yesterday at auction; mowed on a steep grade sideways for about 3-4 minutes & noticed the PTO lost some umph. Drove it down to my driveway & while I was looking under it, it just started gushing from underneith. Haven't fully investigated yet - will have to get the larger tractors involved to lift it up in the air to check it out. Any initial anecdotal experiences out there on this issue? I've never owned a Kubota or any mower like this... This seems to be where it was gushing out. Any ideas - anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_162753715.jpg
    IMG_20220501_162753715.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 210
  • IMG_20220501_164826287.jpg
    IMG_20220501_164826287.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_20220501_162821349.jpg
    IMG_20220501_162821349.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 207
   / My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #2  
Looks like a bearing seal took a dump.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ?
Looks like a bearing seal took a dump.
Thank's, I'll look bearing seals up as a starting point / when I talk to my nearest Kubota dealer. If it was your rig & you wanted to DIY it - how might you proceed?

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #4  
I might remove the housing the driveshaft is attached to, but thats just a WAG based on the one picture. Is it the driveshaft that constantly spins when its on (pump driveshaft)?

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ?
I might remove the housing the driveshaft is attached to, but thats just a WAG based on the one picture. Is it the driveshaft that constantly spins when its on (pump driveshaft)?
When I turn it on it just starts dumping hyd-fluid from that same spot pictured. I can't drive it as the hydrostat trans --> driveshaft (I'm presuming here) has no power... (no spinning shaft at this point) BTW it only has 452 hours on it. But then again w/ equipment, it's just a matter of time. Wish I could have gotten more than a few minutes to get acquainted with it though.

Tis a learning process & with all the equipment that I have one would think that I'd be more well versed, I thank you all for these 'crash courses' in diesel tech / nuts & bolts - trying to learn as fast as I possibly can...

Last edited:
   / My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #6  
If gushing oil as soon as it starts sounds like a line that is under pressure probably in charge pump circuit . Agree on having to get under it safely to look at lines, fittings, seals, etc. At 450 hrs could be a hose rubbing on something finally gave way.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #7  
plus one on a hose. If it was a seal I would expect it to leak even when stopped.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #8  
I believe the dipstick is on the floorboard, between your legs - under that flip up hatch.

HST filter is behind the seat - make sure that's tight.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #9  
When I turn it on it just starts dumping hyd-fluid from that same spot pictured. I can't drive it as the hydrostat trans --> driveshaft (I'm presuming here) has no power... (no spinning shaft at this point) BTW it only has 452 hours on it. But then again w/ equipment, it's just a matter of time. Wish I could have gotten more than a few minutes to get acquainted with it though.

Tis a learning process & with all the equipment that I have one would think that I'd be more well versed, I thank you all for these 'crash courses' in diesel tech / nuts & bolts - trying to learn as fast as I possibly can...

Wash the underside so no oil is left. Turn back on briefly, when oil is cold to find origin of leak. If oil is cold, it wont gush like hot oil.

/ My f3990 just dumbed all its hydraulic fluid on my driveway - ... ? #10  
Wash the underside so no oil is left. Turn back on briefly, when oil is cold to find origin of leak. If oil is cold, it wont gush like hot oil.

I second the above.

The first step by the OP should be to clean up the oily mess well and find out where exactly it's leaking from!
The seat and the fender may have to be removed in order to find the leak.

I think his first photo is showing the 4-wheel drive (rear) drive shaft).

Here is a link to a short story of oil leak due to cracked transmission housing in my F3060
Not saying at all that OP would have the same issue, just trying emphasize how important it is to thoroughly clean it up first so that the leak(s) can be located.

Kubota F3060 HST / 2-Speed Range Selector Housing Oil Leak

The fender removal is not really a big deal - this is what mine looked like under the fender during reassembly:

IMG_5495.JPG

Last edited: