My favorite Beef Stew Recipe

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
Ok, I'll post this one and give someone else a chance. :eek:

HE MAN BEEF STEW

This recipe has evolved over a period of 40 years of making stew to my liking. It has a very beefy flavor, and that is what I like. I have tried lots of different combinations of veggies, and most are good, but it is easy to get too much of one thing if you aren't careful.

Such veggies as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage are good, but I would never add over a cup of so of any of these combined. Leeks are good, give good color, but have such a subtle taste that it is overpowered. Corn has such a powerful flavor that I never use any more that comes in a package of frozen mixed vegetables. It is very easy to get too much corn, and that ruins it for me.

INGREDIENTS​

1 beef Chuck roast, 3-4 pounds, cut into 3/4 inch cubes

NOTE: (chuck roast is, in my opinion the best meat for stew; it has enough fat for flavor, and cooks up tender. You can often find a bone-in chuck roast, which is ideal. The soup bone adds that little bit of extra flavor that makes the stew great).

1 beef soup bone

4 or 5 medium white potatoes, sliced into 1 inch cubes

1 small stalk of celery, sliced into 3/4 inch lengths

1 small package of fresh carrots, sliced into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices

3 or 4 large mushrooms, sliced

1/3 cup of pearl barley

1 small package of mixed vegetables

2 cups sliced okra

1 can diced tomatoes (You can add two cans if you really like tomatoes, but one is plenty if you intend to add the Rotel. And DO NOT USED STEWED TOMATOES unless you like your stew to have a sweet flavor, which I don't)

2 -11.5 oz. cans of V8 vegetable juice

1 can of Rotel tomatoes with diced chili peppers (optional, omit if you don't like a bit of hot peppers)

1 tbsp dry parsley flakes

1 tbsp sweet Basil (dry is what I use)

4 cloves fresh garlic, crushed or finely chopped

1 medium YELLOW onion, diced

1 tbsp. olive oil or cooking oil

salt and pepper to taste

In a large stew pot, add oil and onion. Turn heat on high, and stir occasionally until onions begin to clarify. I usually start cutting up the chuck roast at this time.

Add cubed beef, sweet basil, garlic, salt and pepper (I usually don't have the meat all cut up before the onions are ready, so I end up adding it a little bit at a time as I get it cut). Stir occasionally until meat is well browned. You can start slicing the celery, carrots and potatoes. (Man, smells good, doesn't it?)

Add V8 juice, pearl barley, parsley flakes, soup bone and enough water to cover if necessary. Lower heat to medium and simmer until meat starts to show some tenderness, usually about 1/2 hour or so.

Add carrots and celery, cook on low heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until carrots begin to show tender.

Add the frozen veggie mix, and cook for approximately another 1/2 hour (it's good to check the cooking times on the label, and adjust the cooking time accordingly).

Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low heat until potatoes are done, approximately another 1/2 hour or so.

ENJOY

NOTE: I often add SMALL amounts of other frozen veggies, such as black eyed peas, lima beans, bell peppers, stir fry, etc., for color, if they are available. Be careful, though, you may have to get a bigger pot, and end up with too many veggies and not enough meat. And remember, some veggies, especially fresh veggies, may take a bit longer to cook, so you may have to add them earlier in the process.

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe #2  
Huuuuuuumm. This is the season for stews and soups! (northern hemisphere anyway) Thanks for reminding us!

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe #3  
That does sound good, but in our old age, we've gotten too lazy to go to that much trouble..:laughing:

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe
That does sound good, but in our old age, we've gotten too lazy to go to that much trouble..:laughing:

It's not really. It's fun for me; I usually make stew on a cold, rainy, yucky Winter day. Keeps me and our dog Lucy busy, makes the house smell good, and we have enough stew to last us a week, including our kids and Grand Kids. Oddly enough, I'll pick up Chuck Roast when it's on sale and freeze it, so I almost always have the meat and most of the other stuff I have on hand most of the time anyway. Maybe pick up a few mushroom, some V8 and a package of mix veggies and I'm ready to roll. Recipe makes a lot...I cooked it for the Elks Lodge...about 50 people...and I just doubled my recipe. :licking::laughing:

Huuuuuuumm. This is the season for stews and soups! (northern hemisphere anyway) Thanks for reminding us!

Try it...you'll like it! And don't forget the Basil...it's a key ingredient. I actually use about twice what the recipe calls for.

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe #6  
We did a variation of the recipe today,,
Changes:
1/2 the chuck
one can V8
NO okra (they do not even sell it in our stores!! :laughing:)

QOVO5ec.jpg

Everything else the same,,

THEN,, we add our family recipe for dumplings,,,
egg, water, all purpose flour (NOT self rising)

SswveV7.jpg

wdxiBYC.jpg

LyXxxBE.jpg

PERFECTION!!

:thumbsup:

We did a variation of the recipe today,,
Changes:
1/2 the chuck
one can V8
NO okra (they do not even sell it in our stores!! :laughing:)

QOVO5ec.jpg

Everything else the same,,

THEN,, we add our family recipe for dumplings,,,
egg, water, all purpose flour (NOT self rising)

SswveV7.jpg

wdxiBYC.jpg

LyXxxBE.jpg

PERFECTION!!

:thumbsup:

Friends for life!

/ My favorite Beef Stew Recipe #8  
Camper Stew:

Cast iron pot, meat, tomato sauce, potatoes, beans, carrots, onion, garlic, sweet pepper, hot pepper, olive oil, oregano, basil & whatever else strikes your fancy. No specific quantities, just about that much. Put it all in the pot, add water to cover all, stick it in the camper oven at pilot setting and go do your thing! Sample at four or so hours and make adjustments to taste. Back to oven for five or six more hours. Cut several thick slices of whole grain bread, place on plate & cover with stew. Do the same next morning for breakfast if any is left over.

The basic ingredients are whatever you find in the Larder.

The harder you play or work the better it tastes!