My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
You WILL get lots of compliments on these!

2Lane's Stuffed Bell Peppers

4 medium Bell Peppers

1/2 c. chopped onion

1/2 c. instant rice

1/2 teaspoon each oregano & basil

1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder (or to taste; more if desired)

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2/3 pound ground beef

1/3 pound sausage (I prefer Jimmy Dean's w/sage)

1 - 15 oz. diced tomatoes

1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Cut off tops of peppers; clean out seeds. Boil in salted water to cover for 5 minutes. Remove peppers,

and let drain upside down on paper towels. Salt inside of peppers, arrange in baking pan.

In large skillet, brown and crumble ground meat, add onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until onions are tender.

Stir in tomatoes, rice, worchestershire sauce, spices, pepper and water, if needed. cook covered for 15

minutes or until rice is done. Taste; add some salt if needed. Spoon mixture into peppers. Place any

left over mixture around peppers in dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of cheddar. Bake

at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese; let stand

for 5 minutes.

Best served with toasted garlic bread.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #2  
Interesting recipe. Never heard of pre-boiling the peppers...I just stuff them raw and bake for ~30-35 min @350. I usually usually use oatmeal instead of rice, if only because of less prep time. I'll also dice up a mushroom or two and throw in some pine nuts. I'll have to try adding sausage next time.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe
I don't see why stuffing and baking the peppers instead of pre-boiling wouldn't work; would cut down on the prep time.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #4  
Stuffed peppers should be required once a month anyways! Your recipe sounds good with the meat combo. My nephew raved about his mom's (my sister) peppers and what she did different is not to put the tomatoes in the pepper at all, just on the outside. Something else that would go good with the sausage? Salmon!

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #5  
I never met a stuffed pepper I didn't like.

Sometimes (most of the time, in fact) my wife pre-boils the peppers to make them softer or more tender. I've told her that's fine with me, but that it's also just fine if they're not pre-boiled and still crisp. And I prefer leaving the tomatoes out.

I have a brother who likes for his wife to fix stuffed peppers because he likes the flavor of the meat, but he doesn't eat the pepper itself. I eat it all.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #6  
WoW! Do I ever love stuffed peppers. I can see if I was around you for long 2Lane - I'd need to widen my doorways - ha, ha. I've eaten stuffed peppers prepared by, at least, four or five different people - yum, yum, yum.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #7  
I also LOVE stuffed peppers. Can't seem to get enough and definitely don't get them as often as I would like too.

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #8  
I've never seen a pepper recipe like this. I'm used to a similar stuffing (minus the tomatoes), but in fresh or frozen peppers. Then arrange the peppers in a baking pan and pour a liberal amount of tomato sauce over top and around them. Cover the pan and bake in that tomato sauce. Serve with some of the thickened sauce poured over the peppers.:licking:

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe
WoW! Do I ever love stuffed peppers. I can see if I was around you for long 2Lane - I'd need to widen my doorways - ha, ha. I've eaten stuffed peppers prepared by, at least, four or five different people - yum, yum, yum.

Try my recipe. The seasoning is the key; I usually double up on the oregano/basil and it's hard to get too much garlic. The hamburger/sausage combo is a big factor also. We have fixed these for the Elks Lodge a couple of times, and they are a big hit. Have had several people say they were "the best I have ever eaten". I always fix extra because they freeze up really well, and are just as good later. Don't forget the garlic bread!

/ My Favorite Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe #10  
I sometimes use my "home grown" Poblanos peppers for my stuffed peppers, and some years they are on the "too spicy side". SO, I boil them for a few minutes before stuffing them to get a little heat out of them.

I also pre-cook everything I put in my bell too, so it doesn't hurt to boil them a few mins, (including bells) so they don't have to bake as long and they will still be soft when we eat them.

SR